Online live rock vendor discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nwsharksfan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been pouring over the numerous online live rock vendors out there - all of which claim to have the best rock in the world. I searched for a thread that discussed vendors and what people's experience with them was - but I only found a couple threads from 2011/12 - and those make frequent reference to liverocks.com (which no longer exists). Most recent discussions turn to the best dry rock. Please let us know what online vendor you used for live rock and what your experience was to assist those of use who against all reason insist on going his route. Thanks.

About 10 years ago I bought live rock from liveaquaria.com that I was really pleased with. Apparently, now they o sell "real reef" live rock with is man made rock that is dyed to look like it's covered in coralline algae .... and it's every bit as expensive, if not more so, than the stuff you have to dive for.

I have a 20 lb order pending with gulfliverock.com to add to the 40 lbs of base dry rock I have. I'll let you know what I think once it eventually shows up (Dan has an ear infection and can't dive to restock).

I personally like dry rock from bulk reef supply. Then I just seed with rubble rock

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Gotta watch it, most have a ton of phosphates that will leach out into the tank.
I used Marco Rocks, love the rock, but had a ton of released phosphate in the tank.

Again, I'd like to focus on live rock vendors - not dry rock. And for what it's worth I got 40 lbs of Carib Sea base rock that is extremely porous for half of what Marco Rocks is charging.

If you want a lot of hitch hikers, I would suggest some Florida rock. Mantis shrimp, crabs, cool algae, and even octopus have been brought in it.

Received my live rock. Included some unpacking photos. Three days in the mail -so don't expect most to make it but it is well covered in coralline algae and macro algae. Also picked a large worm off it (not a bristle worm - looked like a millipede, a dead one).

Attachments

• WP_20150819_001.jpg
    WP_20150819_001.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 81
  • WP_20150819_002.jpg
    WP_20150819_002.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 104
  • WP_20150819_003.jpg
    WP_20150819_003.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 99
I'd give it all a good scrub with a brush to get any build up, mud, or anything else that could be on/in there off before putting it in. Still, looks nice.

3 days in the mail is nothing compared to what else that rock goes through. I wouldn't sweat it. You'll be surprised what lives ;)

Well, I plucked out about three bristle worms (two dead already - one trying to make a U-turn back into the rock). There are three sea squirts that have zero chance of making it. But I'm optimistic. My last go with live rock had far less on it at the beginning and it didn't disappoint.

Well that's good to hear. I wouldn't be worried about bristle worms they are good guys. My last batch of live rock I made a mistake of not scrubbing it down first. There were pockets all mudded up that hasn't helped parameters in my tank. I'd put money there is still some in the system still to this day, years later.

Rock has been in the tank for a week or two. Good coralline coverage. The macro algae that was on it has turned green and is growing (not sure if this is a good or bad thing). Also found an aiptasia anemone. Aiptasia-x is in the mail. Added a clown a couple days ago. Acts kind of quirky but seems health. Insists on staying under the protein skimmer.

Attachments

• WP_20150826_003.jpg
    WP_20150826_003.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 86
  • WP_20150826_006.jpg
    WP_20150826_006.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 70
  • WP_20150826_007.jpg
    WP_20150826_007.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 62
Have you checked your ammonia levels to see if the tank has cycled? Usually it takes longer than a week or two.

I've been testing the water often. Today ammonia and nitrite was 0 and nitrates were either 10 or 20 ppm depending one which light I held the test tube under. I've been doing small 10% water changes every other day (mostly because I left the RODI running for a couple days by accident and have a huge bin of water I'd hate to dump). I was cycling the tank for about three weeks with rotting shrimp and base rock before I added the live rock.

Back
Top Bottom