Ooops.. I need some quick advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seajay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, I was doing my 1st water change tonight (just finished cycling) and I was planning to refill the tank with some of the left over water i got from the LFS last month when I first bought my tank. They sell it in 10 gallon jugs. Somehow I took out about 3 gallons more than I had replace with. Now my tank it sitting idle (water level about 2 inches under the power head).

My question is....Since the LFS is about an hour away from where I live will it hurt to top it off with some Oceanic or Instant Ocean? If so, which one? Will that start the cycling process over again? I can get that here in town. If not, the tank will have to sit literally idle until Saturday before I could make it to the LFS. Will that hurt anything? I do not have any fish in there as my cycle is wrapping up (only LR). I was planning to get some crabs and a few snails this weekend.

Thanks for your help!

CHris

Sure, you can mix up some IO or Oceanic water. I use IO, but I'm sure the Oceanic would be fine...I'd probably go with whichever I could get the cheapest. I would use either RO or distilled water to mix it up though. It won't affect your cycle at all. I'm not sure about the Oceanic salt, but if you use IO, mix 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water. That will put your salinity very close to where it needs to be.

One more thing...Should I mix the salt with distilled water versus tap?

thanks again...

Thanks loganj. You answered my question just I was posting mine re: the distilled water. Thanks for your advice.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom