oops! Film on top of tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishybuisness

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I went out for a run today when I came home I seen one of my ZOA frags I just payed 35 for face down in the sand..thanks to my lawnmower blenny...gosh he's like a bull in a China shop...anyways I quickly reached in to put it back without thinking and not washing my hands/arms...I think that's where the film came from..how do I get rid of it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Could be the reason. Do you have any surface agitation?

The film on the top of your water is spare protein and nutrients in the water column. This is removed by filtration such as protein skimming, but can be stopped from filming ontop of the water surface by aiming a powerhead at the water surface.

Yes I have surface agitation..and I have a skimmer as well..although its only the oceanic version which most people don't like. I really think it's from my arms because I was exercising and didn't rinse it. How do I get rid of it?

Yes I have surface agitation..and I have a skimmer as well..although its only the oceanic version which most people don't like. I really think it's from my arms because I was exercising and didn't rinse it. How do I get rid of it?

The skimmer should take it out. If not, then turn off all your pumps and let the water sit for a minute. Then use a paper towel to seep up the oil on top. I found that method a while ago when the same thing happened to me on my nano (no skimmer) and it worked like a charm.

I'd be more inclined to say this is nutrients building up in your system and not all being pulled out by your skimmer. I stick my arms in my tank all the time without washing them and it doesn't cause a protein skim to form.

I'd be more inclined to say this is nutrients building up in your system and not all being pulled out by your skimmer. I stick my arms in my tank all the time without washing them and it doesn't cause a protein skim to form.

So where do I go from here?

Point a power head at the surface and keep going. I'd check my parameters to make sure things aren't building up. If so, may want to look at your filtration closer or do larger water changes. Feeding less will also help since this will come from oily foods.

ba9udazy.jpg

Film is probably coming from feeding twice a day. I only feed my tank twice a week and this film will still appear in the one area of my tank where there isn't as much water movement.

OK, I have found that I also had oily residue on my sump tank. The main tank was recently containing oily residue and no matter how much surface agitation.... Still oily.. Today I decided to go a little further than just the weekly water change.. I changed the filter sock and instantly the oily surface was GONE.. I therefore can only recommend that you maintain a strict habit of cleaning your filters and whatever keeps your water clean and I am positive that your oily residue will be a thing of the past.. I have two tanks and I find that the tank I have at work, that does not get looked after as carefully as the one at home is the one that starts to have issues..

Tank - 1 - OFFICE

Aquascape - initial setup March 2014 and then rescape August 2014

CADE Tank 800 x 800 x 600 - 320 litre

Sump filtration - Long noodles, 3 Layers Filter Pads. Carbon

UVIEW sterilizer

CO2 with inline reactor

ADA fertilising

ADA soil setup

RAZOR LED lighting

Twinstar

Tank - 2 - HOME

Juwel 120 litre tank - setup Dec - 2010