Opinions on stocking list 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skae310

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently got a reef ready 55g and 30g sump with a lot of equipment. I am searching for some good cheap live rock, but in the time being I want to get opinions on a stocking list. I did some research, but want opinions. I realize this can't be done until after I cycle, and it must be stocked slowly, but I want to have an idea of what I plan to get in the end so when I place my rocks and decide how much sand, I will keep everyone happy. Also the ideal order of stocking.

Fish:

-2 tank bred clowns (most important)
-purple dottyback (second most important)
-Fairy Wrasse or Dwarf angel (opinions?)
-goby and pistol shrimp pair
-mandarin goby (way way down the line in the future, but I want the list not to conflict with this if and when I have enough pods)

Inverts:
Cleaner shrimp
Pistol shrimp (work with cleaner?)
snails
hermits
tuxedo urchin (maybe?)

Corals:
Mostly LPS and softies

Again this is what I want in the end, not like tomorrow. I want opinions on if its too much or if there are incompatibilities. I know some dwarf angels pick at corals.. Also although not obtained yet, my system will most likely be 60-70 pounds LR.

I don't know about the shrimps so can't help with that one. I would get a fairy wrasse instead of a dwarf angel as the wrasse will eat small things you don't want on your lr. I got one to remove a small fireworm it did so in a matter of days and their really fun to watch. I know its a big tank but I wouldn't put a goby and manderin dragonet in together as they will compete for food on the bottom and the manderin is already hard enough to feed. That is unless it eats whatever you give it (very rare) hope this helps sorry I didn't know about the shrimp.

The fairy wrasse would actually be the one competing with the mandarin for pods not the goby. If you get the wrasse don't do the mandarin. Heck I wouldn't do a mandarin anyway unless it's eating frozen and you keep it on frozen. The rest looks fine though

Anything blue I could add in place of the mandarin? Im not a huge chromis or damsel fan.

A Cherub Angel would be nice. I had one before. It's the only dwarf angel I would trust in a reef tank He can harass newcomers so you should add it last if you go that route. Flameback angel has nice blue coloration as well but I have seen them nip at corals and clams.

Very cool fish! Would a cerub angel, fairy wrasse, 2 clowns, Shrimp goby, and dottyback be too much? I'm used to a 14g, which pretty much anything is overloading.

It should be ok. A friend of mine has a bicolor dottyback and it ate his shrimp in the reef tank. So be careful. If I were to get a dottyback it would be either a Fridmani or Springeri.

Any purple fish instead of the dottyback? Sorry I'm so concerned with color. I have to make my girlfriend on board with the tank hahaha

If your budget permits go for a Hilfrichi firefish. They are awesome looking fish. Otherwise a purple firefish is nice as well.

You could go for a black cap basselet if you want a purple fish. The royal grama is a good alternative with purple and yellow body

Back
Top Bottom