Opinions Please... (i havnt heard enough yet)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are still in the ammonia stages of the cycle, you could raise the ammonia level such that the aiptasia die. My first tank started at 8ppm ammonia. Id expect that to kill everything :ninja:...You can get pure ammonia at a hardware store.

Matt

Now theres a thought.. but what about the rest of my live rock? and my filter system? wont that take extra long to process through?

im gonna be sick of looking at dead rocks.. not what i was aiming for in this project at all.. :shock:

A tank full of rocks may not be fun, but it's the right way to start off. My first tank was bare or covered by a rainbow of algae for the first couple months. Instant gratification doesn't lead to long term happiness in reef aquaria. ;)

When I was cycling my tank I was told to get a rubber duckie if I needed to see something in the tank <g>.

High ammonia is no guarantee that it will kill the Aiptasia. Kalk paste, lemon juice, or hot water will work. Peppermint shrimp worked for me when the aips were small.

^Interesting Idea.

I spent a lot of time reading about the Berghia Nudibranch last night and spoke to a supplier. I am fascinated by those little guys. They seem to be a great option with few if any drawbacks (well other than cost... and speed). But if done correctly they look to be a solid option. The cheapest I found was 3 for about $70 shipped. They are sensitive to water quality issues and since my tank is new I don't think I will chance a $70 investment.

I ended up speaking to two suppliers both who seem to know their stuff about Aiptasia. One thing they both said over and over was to not use Aiptasia X.... Not sure why but thats what they said. They were also down on using any chemical killing methods (although they are biased Im sure)

Over the past week I have been trying to kill just one medium sized Aiptasia in my sump that has easy access. I have tried a tiny bit of lemon juice and the next day he was back out. I then tried a tiny bit of vinegar. I thought that did the trick and tried to suck him out with a turkey baster but didn't get anything. The next day he was back out - just not looking as healthy. Perhaps Im not using enough? Anyway, so last night I was looking really close at him and saw 3 more very tiny Aiptasia right near him - which I think I helped create by fighting with this guy.

So now Im back to the drawing bored somewhat. I think I will be adding two Peppermint shrimp to my system this weekend to see if that works. If not perhaps I will look into the Berghia some more (although Peppermint Shrimp are predators of the Berghia - go figure). The Berghia suppliers actually did say if the correct Peppermint Shrimp were used (Lysmata wurdemann) they would work on the Aiptasia too. I really like the idea of a more natural approach but then what do I know - this is my first time dealing with Aiptasia. Perhaps killing them off with amazingly bad water quality is the way to go.

Stear clear of the Berghias. Once they eat all the aiptasia in your tank they will starve, die, and release a toxin in your tank.

I have heard of Joe's Juice being the best and healthiest commercial treatment. Did you try hitting them with boiling water?

Stear clear of the Berghias. Once they eat all the aiptasia in your tank they will starve, die, and release a toxin in your tank.

I have heard of Joe's Juice being the best and healthiest commercial treatment. Did you try hitting them with boiling water?

I questioned the suppliers a lot about the "release of toxin" when they die etc... and they said these are not a toxic type of nudibranch... said its no worse than a small snail dying in the tank... Weather its true or not I don't know - but its what they both said and one pointed me to some other reading on the subject which I did not go to.

Did not try the boiling water yet.. but then I still wonder about the ones behind the rock that I can't see or get to... I will try the boiling water on the larger one in my tank and see if that works. Oh, one other method that one of the Berghia suppliers told me works well is a blow torch.. but then you have to pull the rock out of the water - and unfortunately I have some really close to some mushrooms I don't want to roast.

Just looks like it sooo easy to shoot the ones you can see and simply flip the rock later and get the others. Guess I don't see the problem.

Just looks like it sooo easy to shoot the ones you can see and simply flip the rock later and get the others. Guess I don't see the problem.

In the OP's case - yeah, makes sense.

I guess I was thinking more of rock that had corals on them.. A more established tank... rocks that were under other rocks with corals on them. I suppose someone could flip all the rocks in the tank searching for aiptasia and hope not to damage coral or stir up a mess but at some point wouldn't you want to not have to move rocks around looking for this pest?

Oh, and Im an Austinsdad too...:D

Yeah, i am lucky (in a way) that i can still move all my rocks around as i now have double the ammount in less than a week.. im starting to think that i could take the rock back to the LFS where i got it and complain.. but that also seems like alot of work.. and whos to say that im not going to have the stuff that creates aptasia floating around in my water.

So i think ill fight.. but ill wait for my test kit and Aptasia X and have a good old go at them.. and i do like the look of pep shrimp.. so if i can have one in my tank to keep stuff at bay then id be happy with that.. but i need to get rid of the biggies soon.

i like the idea of rasing ammonia in the tank.. might be a last resort if i find myself fighting them every 12 hours..

and i havnt dismissed the blow torch idea either.. as there is nothing really special near the lil buggers.

once again thanks for everyones help.

Any shrimp won't do well in an unstable tank. Esepcially if ammonia is present. I think you wait on ANY livestock for now and wait for your juice and test kit.

Any shrimp won't do well in an unstable tank. Esepcially if ammonia is present. I think you wait on ANY livestock for now and wait for your juice and test kit.

No no no.. no shrimp till tank is ready.. but might put one in (if i can have only one) when its all up and running... but no.. not now.. will aptasia x the tank when it arrives and controll them that way untill i can start livestocking the tank at a later date..

i know i look silly .. but im really not.. :cool:

Where in Melbourne are you? I'm from Melbourne too.

As for apitasia, Go to Seca Marine (Oakleigh) or Reeflections (Moorabin), They know there stuff, Been dealing with both of them for a few years now.

If your close by, I could throw a hand. As your only cycling the tank you could also remove the rock and scrub the apitasia off the rock.

Where in Melbourne are you? I'm from Melbourne too.

As for apitasia, Go to Seca Marine (Oakleigh) or Reeflections (Moorabin), They know there stuff, Been dealing with both of them for a few years now.

Heya, i am in chadstone, mt waverley side of it.. not near the shopping center.

Theres 2 LFS's that i thought i loved.. especially SECA. but when they told me to take my live rock back to the shop i got it from and buy 20 kg from them and them alone, BUT "dont come back before i have a protein filter", i kinda changed my mind on them.. the one in moorabbin is just way past my price zone. but yes.. i will be checking out their live stock when i get to that stage.

id love any help i can get.. will have to have an aussie AA meeting.. (thats the kind where you try and out drink each other.. not talk about your drinking "problems"):invasion:

oh yeah.. i forgot the whole topic of this conversation.. the aptasia look sick.!!! blackish fingers and not as strong looking as yesterday.. i could have ruined my tank already!

if i cant keep aptasia healthy then there is no hope for me! hehehe

But enough fun.. i hope they are unwell.. wish my test kit and ap-x turned up today.. ill hold out hope for monday.

Ahh yeah, Im from Boronia, Knox area.

I guess that'd be Rob talking to you about the LR from Seca, He comes across grumpy but when you get to know him, He knows his stuff. 27years in the trade or something.

Just pull the LR out, Keep it in SW and scrub the apitsia off if your in the cycle process! Do it before you get any livestock.

If your looking for Morphs, Macro Algae ive got some. Macro Free, Morphs at price.

Ahh yeah, Im from Boronia, Knox area.

I guess that'd be Rob talking to you about the LR from Seca, He comes across grumpy but when you get to know him, He knows his stuff. 27years in the trade or something.

Just pull the LR out, Keep it in SW and scrub the apitsia off if your in the cycle process! Do it before you get any livestock.

If your looking for Morphs, Macro Algae ive got some. Macro Free, Morphs at price.

It was a big but younger bloke i havnt seen before.. but anyways.. ill pull my pride in before i need livestock..

ive have some spare salt water.. so ill see what happens.. have the big move on saturday.. moving my old 30'' fresh tropical out to a mate and hopefully sliding the new one about half a meter across the floor as full as we can move it.. but will go slowly on that one.. dont wanna crack the new tank.. thankfully im in the glass business so i know how it doesnt like to be handled..

will be in the right place then and ill be able to start doing things like substrate and more LR bit by bit etc once its in the right place and i have a handle on the Aptasia..

Now for the learning curve.. dont know what morphs or macro alge is yet.. :) more concentrating on Rocks and aliens.. :)

Orright.. time for an update..

Once again.. thankyou to everyone for all your fantastic help so far.. 0X

Still waiting on the ol aptasia x to arrive in the post.. hope tomorrow or tuesday.. will also mean i have test kit at my disposal..

Had my old tank picked up on saturday and drained half my new one into tubs and moved it into place.. (thank god for setting tank up on tiles) and it only cost me 20 cents to level the tank properly. (stuck a 20 cent coin under the foot of the cabinet)

got 10kg of coral sand.. (real fine stuff) and put it in today.. starting to look like a real tank.. see pic..

Stay tuned for aptasia x success stories!!!!

oh and thanks to Elliot from the LFS in mentone today! you rock and arent gonna make your boss happy by telling the truth!

Attachments

• DSC02527.jpg
    DSC02527.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 86
What'd he say?

the store has a beautiful 3ft tall reef setup that states it doesnt have a Proteine skimmer in it. (on the info sheet on the wall)

after nearly every LFS that "stocks" skimmers has told me not to bother without one.. i asked him how they had such a beautiful reef without one..

his reply " oh you dont need a skimmer.. especially in a 130L tank where water changes are only about 20-30 L a week to fortnight".. !!!

i asked him "why then does everyone tell me not to bother without one?"
he told me "its because LFS's love selling them"

Back
Top Bottom