ordering online is cheaper... but what is the best???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buttercup

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, for my 55 gallon tank im ordering my equipment online becuase... well its a LOT cheaper. Anyway there's just so many brands out there and i want to make sure i start right so im just wondering what brands are the best, most relieble, most value for my money? From your experience.

I need to get:

Powerheads- maxijet or aquaclear seem to be prevailant... which ones are the easiest to mount? and how much output do i need? I was planning on getting 2 of the maxi jets that put out 160gph.. to much? not enough?

protein skimmer-i don't have a sump and i like the seaclone protein skimmer because it can hang on the back of the tank (like a hob filter) and its a good price. If i get the one rated for aquariums up to 100gallons will that be sufficient? If not can you reccomend another good brand protein skimmer?

Aquarium pharmeceutacals master saltwater test kit- i love the freshwater version so im sure the sw is just as reliable. Any extra test kits im going to need? This is going to be a fish only with live rock until i upgrade the lighting and then i will start doing corals (one day... lol)

Sorry i know its a lot to ask but i just don't want to spend a lot of money and find out i got all junk products so all of your suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Powerheads - I use the aquaclear 30s. I have 2 of them in my 55G, along with my fluvial 304 output. You may want to pick up a cheap PH for pre mixing water, anyything cheap, since it's not going in your tank.

protein skimmer- not sure on that one, since I don't own one, but I have read to buy the next powerful one, ie: you have a 55G, buy one rated for at 75G. If you are going for the 100G, I believe you should be good. I see a lot of good stuff on the remora C, you may want to check into the sea clone, I can't remember, but I think that might have a bad rap...(but I could be wrong). I have also read don't skimp on the skimmer.

Aquarium pharmeceutacals master saltwater test kit-I have it and use it, others have their preferences, but it has the right test for a FOWLR tank.

i don't see "aquaclear 30" i see aquaclear 402, 802, etc. How many gph do yours pump? im just not sure how much power to use.

I also have the fluval canister filter but ... this may be a silly question, im wondering can HOB filters be used in sw? when i had freshwater i ran my aquaclear 70 HOB filter along with my fluval (the more filtration the better with fw) Can HOB filters be used in sw? Or are they not preferred at all?

EDIT--- i was browsing through some other threads... trying to learn as much as i can and i read someone said all you need is a protein skimmer and live rock for filtration? Does this mean i don't need a filter at all? even if i don't have a sump??? i mean obviously i already have one but don't you need a filter to do mechanical filtration at least even if the other stuff is taking care of the biological part???

about the protein skimmers... this is what i have to choose from:
http://www.petsolutions.com/Protein+Skimmers-C-43-C-P-All-P-.aspx

I don't see some of the brand names you guys are bringing up on the site and this is where im ordering from. Also a lot of them have to go INSIDE a sump and i don't have a sump so i need one that can just hang on the back of my aquarium and not take up a ton of space. Thats why the seaclone one appealed to me, but if its junk, what other ones on that site will be the most beneficial to me?

For several years when I had my 55 I just had LR and a skimmer. If you feed every other day and use RO/DI water why should you need mechanical filtration.

mechanical filtration-to remove fish waste and stuff. and no im not going to use RO/DI water i just treat my water with prime.

im not challenging anything im just asking becuase it seems weird to me not to have mechanical filtration to remove larger fish waste and stuff.... do sw fish produce less waste than freshwater???? i mean, they still poop don't they?

That is the purpose of a clean up crew and what they dont get the LR and skimmer will get.
As far as treating you water with prime, This is not a desirable solution. This is my experience. When I started 9 years ago I started with treated tap and the first 2 months I had algea problems and ich problems. Since then I have added nothing but RO/DI water from the LFS until I got my own about 6 months ago. I have not had algea or ich in my tank since then. 8 1/2 years of using RO/DI water and it has paid off for me. I read on here where many people have had problems that use tap. Is my tank trouble free because of the RO/DI or is it the UV or feeding every other day or maybe the the refugium. I like to think of it as all of them with the RO/DI being a big part of it. Wish you the best

it makes sense... but the extra filtration can't hurt right? or should i just store away my extra filters and not worry about it. Would i be better off maybe getting 2 protein skimmers (one on each end?) and just have that and liverock?

and im still not sure how much output i need from the powerheads for a 55 gallon tank. do i just need 2 and how many GPH do they need to put out?

It cant hurt, I agree with that but I`m just saying that you dont have to have it. Always keep them near by incase you need some GAC filtration. One protein skimmer is all you need and yes with your LR. I`m not too much an expert on Power heads. I dont have any in my tank. My returns give plenty of water movement. Wish you the best Buttercup

Based on my extensive reading you will want a minimum flow of water that is 10x the tanks capacity. In your case that would be 550gal/hr minimum. Two powerheads that are rated for 275 gal/hr (aprox) would do the trick. Your filtrationwill add to that but that is a good thing. Some aquarists use 20x or30x per hour.

I'm probably on the high end right now with my 46gal tank. I have a 200gal/hr powerhead and a 300gal/hr powerhead. I'm also running a 175gal/hr canister and a AC300 with an unknown output.

So far I don't seem to have any problems with the diverse currents in my tank.

i don't see "aquaclear 30" i see aquaclear 402, 802, etc. How many gph do yours pump? im just not sure how much power to use.

You are correct. I have 2 aquaclear 301s (175Gph). I mainly use my fluvial for more water movement and carbon.

melosu58 said:
That is the purpose of a clean up crew and what they dont get the LR and skimmer will get.
As far as treating you water with prime, This is not a desirable solution. This is my experience. When I started 9 years ago I started with treated tap and the first 2 months I had algea problems and ich problems. Since then I have added nothing but RO/DI water from the LFS until I got my own about 6 months ago. I have not had algea or ich in my tank since then. 8 1/2 years of using RO/DI water and it has paid off for me. I read on here where many people have had problems that use tap. Is my tank trouble free because of the RO/DI or is it the UV or feeding every other day or maybe the the refugium. I like to think of it as all of them with the RO/DI being a big part of it. Wish you the best

melosu is right. i treated my tap with prime, and i had nothing but algea problems. horrible mess. i dont have any problems after switching to ro/di.

i currently have 2 aqua clear 50's. i only have a 40 gallon tank, so i know it's a little overboard, but there has been no problems at all and my water is moving around excellently. my powerheads are rated at 270 gph each, so you would probably even be fine with two of those kinds.

sounds great!!! ill be ordering my protien skimmer, test kit, and powerheads this week and then maybe next time i get paid i can order some live rock... thats gonna be the big expense!

Back
Top Bottom