over hang overflow question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stlredbirds84

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've recently started setting up a 55 gal reef tank. Just getting started, I've done freshwater for a few years now but am making the jump to a reef tank. Due to not being able to drill my tank I have had to go to an over hang overflow system. I was wondering it anyone has any suggestions on how to minimize noise of the water going into the sump. Ideas? I'm open to anything other than changing my set up, I can live with the constant dripping noise but was just curious if there was a way to minimize it that someone may have found a solution for. Not new to this forum just had to create a new account for not remembering passwords and usernames. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I had this problem with my HOB overflow,and a ball valve between the overflow and sump did the trick. After you install it just adjust the flow till the gurgling sound stops.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also extend the pvc pipe into the sump so it is below the water.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Something as simple as airline tubing running the the length of the downspout might help. It will channel the water to run along it on its way down to the piping and reduce the noise. I used a Pall Ring (think white bio ball but in a barrel design) suspended by fishing line to quiet the overflow down spout.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I run my 55 reef with a HOB Overflow. I use the CPR overflow so you can look at it for reference if you don't understand what I'm explaining. It has a small tube, just like the airline tubing explained above, that goes down into the tubing about an inch from the actual overflow, surrounded by a sponge. It is silent. I then use panty hose at the end of my PVC to silence that end and be a cheap filter as well.

I have a cylinder shaped sponge with a hole in it that goes on the tube that the water drains into the sump. I clean it and swap it with a spare every three days or so. I used to stick a flexible straw inside the tube as well like a snorkel but over time the noise went away with just the sponge.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks everyone was able to get it fixed to run almost silent. I can live with it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom