Overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eric84

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What size of overflow would I need for a 90 gallon tank if I went with a glass hole one and what size return pump would I need the overflow will drain into two sides one with a skimmer and the other side will be a refugium with the pump in the center

Just 1 one inch drain?? And where would be the best place in the tank for it

Sorry I was thinking 75 that what they come with. 90 im not sure I think they are 1-1/2. Check out DanS future 90 build thread that should help you.corner or center that would be your call.

Using the following input parameters

Gallons per Hour = 1000
Drain and Overflow sizes are calculated as

Recommended minimum drain pipe diameter = 1.31 inches ID I would go with two pipes in case one plugs
Recommended minimum linear overflow size = 15 inches (This dont apply if your drilling)

Where you place it will depend on your wave-makers if you plan on a standing wave then it's better to have the overflow in the center. For the return you will want to match it to your drains, be sure to account for head loss. just dont go over

So if I get the glass holes 1500 and a mag 12 that would work?

Yes keep in mind that your gonna lose some of the 1200 gph you'll have 1056 per hr flow with 4ft of head IMO thats near perfect it gives around 11-12x tank volume then you can add power heads to fill out your flow.

Ok going with a glass holes kit instead of an overflow box would be better

The 750gph is good enough IMO for a 90g. Then get the .75 return kit and buy a mag 9.

Fast flow is not needed with a sump. Slower flow helps with microbubbles. I like fast flow in my sump.

Back
Top Bottom