overflow box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tap-80

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I'm in the process of doing all the research for saltwater. I had a tank when I was a kid but so much has changed. Right now I just want to know what size of a overflow box I need for a 55? Well how many gph?

800gph eshopp overflow, mag 7 pump. Siphon won't break if the flow is right and no need for a aqua lifter like on the CPR models. These two work well together.

600 GPH CPR Overflow w/ aqualifter pump. Running for about a year no problems at all, Mag 9.5 Return little overkill but it was on sale at the time for like 15 bucks less then the norm. Main reason i went with the stronger up is in case I decided to split it off for any reason. I went with the AC90 Deluxe, incudes the aqua lifter pump and overflow box lid for I think was around 120 from BRS

Just a side note unplug my return everyday during feeding time, never once had a problem with the Aqua lifter self prime. With the pump, make sure you keep it clean I had hair algae get sucked inside the aqualifter pump once. Had to remove casing and self pump it till the hair algae popped right out, never a problem since.

Hello I'm in the process of doing all the research for saltwater. I had a tank when I was a kid but so much has changed. Right now I just want to know what size of a overflow box I need for a 55? Well how many gph?

As good as HOB overflow boxes may be, have you considered drilling your tank? Gravity to date has not failed us ;). The HOB overflow boxes all require some sort of pump to start the siphon. If you haven't already, may I suggest taking a look at glass-holes.com? Drilling glass is much easier than it sounds and you'll never have to worry about an overflow problem. Just my $.02.

As good as HOB overflow boxes may be, have you considered drilling your tank? Gravity to date has not failed us ;). The HOB overflow boxes all require some sort of pump to start the siphon. If you haven't already, may I suggest taking a look at glass-holes.com? Drilling glass is much easier than it sounds and you'll never have to worry about an overflow problem. Just my $.02.

Agreed. I have a overflow box and live in a constant state of fear. Regret not getting it drilled every day!

If you can't drill your tank do the research a properly design sump with a overflow box and pump will not overflow! Mine always starts up never breaks siphon, power out no big deal starts right up, no aqua lifter need. Eshopp. 800 and mag 7 on a 55 is perfect.

What about the tanks that say do not drill
Most tanks have a tempered glass bottom but not the sides. You can drill any glass that is not tempered. You can run any overflow with a hole drilled in the side glass. It's pretty easy. I drilled my 210 and it has 1/2" glass. Also drilled a 40B which was much faster and less scary since it was only 40 bucks lol

Most tanks have a tempered glass bottom but not the sides. You can drill any glass that is not tempered. You can run any overflow with a hole drilled in the side glass. It's pretty easy. I drilled my 210 and it has 1/2" glass. Also drilled a 40B which was much faster and less scary since it was only 40 bucks lol

Did you go with the bean animal overflow? My next big tank I'm going with it!

I haven't got a tank yet. Over heard a Guy at work today talking about a tank wanting to get rid of it. I asked him about it he said its a bow front. I asked if it was reef ready and he had no clue what I was taking about LOL. But long story short its not so I would have to dill it myself. And he said he would just give it to me tank and stand but he has no clue what size it is. I don't want anything under 55. Hopefully it is or bigger then that would be a perfect score for me. More money for other stuff.

Back
Top Bottom