Painting the back of the tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XXFirefighter

Aquarium Advice Addict
ALMOST time to fill the tank. I think I want to paint the back of the tank to limit some of the light that goes out the back and on the wall in the lifing room. What colors are best? I was thinking on a deep sea blue... Latex of course... Should I stay away from certain colors? Are some bteer then others? Thanks !

I will be interested to see what others have done. The problem I see with painting is how are you going to clean it with a magnet if it is painted it will eventually get scratched by the magnet then what a mess..

I would use an enamel paint, they are tougher and will stand up better to aquarium conditions.

I use flat black, brush on rustoleum. It works great! I lay the tank on its side so the surface I am painting is on top with the opening towards me. 1 coat a day for 4 days. On the second, third and fourth coat, darken the space you are working in and put a light inside the tank, that way you can see any thin spots to make sure to cover them.

I prefer black, I think it makes the best neutral background to show the colors of the tank inhabitants, but blue would look nice too I am sure.

Good Luck!

Oh yeah, paint on the outside...

I probably don't really need to say that, but it don't hurt none to be clear :D

I would paint either blue because it looks good, or black to hide equiptment in the tank because equipment is usually clear or black. I decided to go with the tape on background and it gets water between the glass and background and leaves trails. I can not clean mine due to (HOT)equipment prevents lifting the background or removal. As far as the magnet I have 150#'s of lr against the lower back and pumps, intakes and spillways across the top so I have to use algae scrapers. If you keep your calcium and alkalinity higher in a year you wont know what color your background is anyway.

I dont know to many people that use a magnet on the back of their tanks.

I painted mine with rustoliem spray paint.

paint...

If someone did use the magnet thing couldn't they place a piece of tissue or something between the magnet and the paint? just a thought. Anyone ever use or see the foil type backgrounds? They can look cool as long as they are set up right. They give the background more than just a flat surface kind of look. If you have a piece that's bigger than the back of the tank you sort of bend it and shape it and it almost looks like caves or rocks or something. Different colors work with certain other colors/ lighting, gravel etc... I would probably do a darker color for a SW tank. My 15 gal fresh is on an open counter in the kitchen so the tank is viewable from the kitchen and the living room so I don't block any sides off. Different colors can look good... it would even be neat if you painted a pattern or something but if the back of your tank gets dirty sometimes, for any period of time, I do think a darker solid color will make it all look more natural. If you did a lighter color, patter, or scenery it would look cool but when it gets dirty it looks dirty... if it's a darker solid color when it gets dirty it looks more natural... just my thoughts...

here are pictures of my tank with a blue background and with a black background.. Mine is just the Tape on background however I used vaseline to stick it to the back of the tank..

HTH<
James

Now that's an interesting twist. lol vaseline must be good for almost anything
Anything that you can think of.. Many Items have many different purposes now a days LOL..

James

Yea, I know. I have used WD-40 to take labels off of stuff sinnce I was younger. Works great but I don't recommend it for fishy stuff. :roll:

Great ideas ! thanks guys !
As for the mag cleaner... I don't think I'm gonna clean the back or the sides.. and if I did the felt on the outside would be fine I would think... I think I am going to go with a very dark blue... I like the blue and the black is nice as well. I wonder if the black will heat up the tank though... It's a 55 gallon with a corallife 265watt light.. Maybe a lighter blue..

How abotu a pic from the front ?
Does the paint stick no problem?
I would think so...
I was whinkin 3-4 coats spray on and call it good, maybe even a coat of clear coat to make it smoother IF I wanted to clean the back with the magnet glass cleaner..

the paint should stick to the glass without any issues, just be sure that it has been cleaned throughly (salt residue can keep it from sticking properly) and of course dry after you clean it. I wouldn't wory about the clear coat. If you use a spray paint, be sure to cover the top of your tank well to be sure no spray over gets into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom