Patience is not MY virtue...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgross15656

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok,so it's been 24 hours and I am itching to put anything in my tank already! Here's what i have so far: 75 gallon; wet/dry trickle filter ( with old bio balls and a carbon filter); 1 Hydor Koralia 3. My ideal inhabitants are: 1 choc. chip starfish, green chromis, 1 cleaner shrimp, clown fish & anemone ( maybe 2 anemones down the road?), 1 powder blue tang and 1 yellow tang. At least that's my starter list, can anyone let me know if there are any problems with any of these guys being tank mates? How soon can i add (non-fish) something and what is the best starter?? Also, how do i know if I have enough flow? I only have 17 lbs of live rock so far ( but I made that 17 lbs go a long way, check out my album!) , I guess I will be adding rock on the 1st & 15th of every month!;) Also, how often should I be testing the water after first setting it up? I used RO water and the salt is 1.025 ( I was aiming for the higher end bc the guy at Petland said theirs is 1.026 and I will be buying most of my livestock there). Anything else I am missing? Thanks!

Know anything about cycling a tank? Youreally need to. Check our articles sectionfor help. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/3/1/Cycle-your-salt-tank/Page1.html

Welcome to AA btw.

Two tangs in a 75 doesn't sound too good either. The powder blue is especially sensitive to disease in my opinion also.

1.025 on the salt is good. But if patience is not a virtue of yourn :), I'd be really concerned about this SW hobby for you. Believe me, patience is needed in this hobby more than most others.

If your tank has only been set up for 24 hours then it still needs to cycle. Read this article. Choc. chip starfish i think are predatory and may eat the cleaner shrimp if it can get to it. Any anemone is going to be more difficult to keep. They require high light in the tank as well as stable water parameters. You should wait at least 6 months before you add an anemone probably closer to 9 would be better. The powder blue will be to large for your tank, they need more swimming room (longer tank). The yellow tang is questionable. A general rule of thumb for a reef tank is around 10-20 times water turn over rate. so 750 gallons an hour would be 10x for example. Once you get your cycle started test the water every 3-4 days or enough so that you can see a the rise and fall of both the ammonia and nitrite. If i'm misunderstanding and the tank has been set up for longer then i apologize and ignore most of this.

Back
Top Bottom