Pauls 50 gallon build (from 35 gallon)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've acquired a 50 gallon tank and plan to eventually put everything from my 35 gallon into it. I really don't know how I'm gonna go about this. My 35 is finally established but I couldn't pass up the 50 for 25 bucks. I still have to build a stand for it and I'm working up the funds now. Will I have to cycle the new tank or can I put my sand, rock, and livestock + more sand and rock into the 50 with success? This project will take a little while before its ready. Here is my 35 and my new 50.

ForumRunner_20120830_194644.jpg

ForumRunner_20120830_194725.jpg

Get some base rock and let it sit in your 35 for a few weeks... That should seed it and then simply move that over to the 50, use some established filter media from the 35 on the 50... Tada mini or no cycle at all;)

OK. I'm just wondering how to transfer the sand. Its gonna be another sand storm. Also the top cross bar on the 50 gallons brace it cracked. Could I just apoxy it together?

paul87 said:
OK. I'm just wondering how to transfer the sand. Its gonna be another sand storm. Also the top cross bar on the 50 gallons brace it cracked. Could I just apoxy it together?

Drain the water out, scoop sand out, clean it extremely thoroughly, place in 50, set shallow fish on sand, pour water onto dish, viola no sand storm. As for the broken center brace, try buying a new one. Only problem with epoxying it bacm together is what if it gives out when youre not home??

Very true. And upon further inspection the bottom brace has fractures in the corners. I may just be sticking with my 35 for now. Anybody need a lizard tank??!!

Did the seller inform you of both faulty trim pieces? If not id atleast mention it to him. If you really wanna use it, just order 2 new trim pieces

No. I was working on one of his rental houses and there was a bunch of junk in a shed out back from the last tenants and I spotted the aquarium. It was really dirty so I asked him about it and he said I could have it for 25 because he could at least get that for it on Craigslist. So I got it. I may order 2 trim pieces in the future and fix it up. The glass and silicone is in great shape. It says it wad made in 98. Ill just stick with my 35 for now. The only thing I don't like about my 35 is the top frame. Its a hex front and disentangle have alot of room for much light.

Back
Top Bottom