PC Lights...how deep can I go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltWaterNewb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two ballasts and end caps for PC lights that I was going to use on a FW planted tank a few years ago but never followed through with the plan. So they have been sitting around collecting dust. Well, I have decided I want to do another SW tank and I am debating on a 20L and a 29. With the 20L I am not too concerned about using PC lights. But the depth of the 29 is 6 inches deeper so I want to check to make sure that these lights will still work. The ballasts I have will allow me to run as many as four 65 watt bulbs. Also, if I go with the 29 gallon I will run it with a DSB so that will take about 5" away from the depth of the water. I am not looking to keep any high light corals, just low and medium light stuff for now and while the PC's are running I can save up for a T5 setup.

I`m thinking you should be able to keep up to medium light corals. PC`s just lack intensity and petatration compared to t5`s.

I ran 2x75watt VHO's over a 29 gal and was very happy w/ the results. 4X65w PC over a 29 gal would be a good amount of light. I'd say you could keep all but the most light demanding corals w/ that set up- especially in the top 1/2-1/3rd of the tank. Low-Medium light corals should do fine even towards the bottom.

Cool. Just wanted to make sure. Even though I can do a four bulb T5 retro kit for about $200, that money will be better spent elsewhere for the time being and I can get the tank up and running and upgrade the lights later. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom