Petco Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhemp34

Aquarium Advice Freak
alright putting my order in tomorrow...I am wondering if anyone has bought Livercok from PETCO .com...They have 45 lbs of FIJI premium for 114.99. Has anyone ever bought this??? Was it worth it...I'm saying thats great after i did the math that less that 3 bucks a lb for premium fiji everyone talks about...I'm starting my 55 tonights...adding first water and salt mix....Tomorrow sand....and hopefully the Live rock if my family here agrees..i've also been told for a 55 if u have suffiecnt LR you dont have to have a skimmer...lad at my lfs says she runs a 75 reef with no skiummer and she does just fine,

I'm gonna get some hate for this, but I say don't get all live rock. It's a tad expensive for rock with bacteria on it. I say get SOME live rock and a lot of base rock, it will eventually become live.

Just my $0.02 lol

All I usually ever purchase is Fiji Premium Uncured live rock since I prefer to have something nice to work with from the get-go rather than base rock. You could also get some Fiji Premium and another decorative rock like branch rock, Vanuatua, etc.

for 114 bucks for 45 lbs of Live Rock.....thats less than what the LFS at 6.99 a lb...so i feel like i am getting a steal...is this not a deal.....i'm going to bypass the skimmer till no since i'm just doing a fowlr for now.....i think...

I know there are some that dont run a skimmer. For me it`s a very important piece of equipment because it removes DOC`s which is important

I agree. it is important but not necessary. I don't have one yet but It will be my next purchase. You just must do more PWC's with no skimmer. my nitrates stay below 5ppm with no skimmer. when they get above 5ppm I do a 25% water change.

Any Comment on the Live Rock QUESTION??

I guess at this point i'm really more concerned with the Liverock. Does anyone have any experiences with petco and there live rock????

Thanks for the skimmer adive..i do water changes every week on all my tanks..I have like water changing OCD...i dont mind...i want my fish to be happy and to make sure my exhibits are tip top so they continue to wow me when i walk in....so thats not a bother for me..

Honestly.. i would not buy anything from a chain market. If they say it's fiji premium live rock.. then MAYBE you can trust it. Think you can take pictures of it? Because im sure if we saw what it looked like.. we would be able to tell what kind of rock it is. We would also be able to see what the rocks conditions are.. If they have algae, Coraline, and all those good things you should be getting when you purchase live rock. If your going to be spending that much money.. wouldn't it be peace of mind to you, to be 100% confident on what you are about to purchase?

Personally, i have never dealt with anything SW from any chain markets and i know a lot of people that do not either. Unless there is a local pet chain market that you have experience with and trust. I know someone here who likes a place by them called petland. Says it is a good place since the people there actually care about their animals. All i can say is.. i've been to petsmart and petco and other animal chain markets and their livestock conditions are never as good as local fish shops, that are dedicated to.. FISH. So you gota think about it.. Fish stores need to dedicate their time and experience to fish because that's what people go there to buy lol. Not always the case with petstore chains that sell a huge variety of things in their store. Kind of makes sense to me.. lol :s

for 114 bucks for 45 lbs of Live Rock.....thats less than what the LFS at 6.99 a lb...so i feel like i am getting a steal...is this not a deal.....i'm going to bypass the skimmer till no since i'm just doing a fowlr for now.....i think...

Must be nice my LFS has live rock for $13.99 a pound. There are the only fish store other than petsmart and there prices really suck. Mag Drive 7=$189.99. 48" Orbit PC 260w fixture is $448.99. Everything I buy I buy online, LOL! **** there 3/4 hose is $2.99 a ft, LOL!

alright I guess its time to start my build i added my water and salt and heater last night.......should i start a build post....keeping in mind this build may take some time because i'm really confused by althe diff. opinions.. wuold 30 lbsof sand and 45lbs of lr be to little for a 55??

I would use more live rock, I think you should have 1-2 pounds of live rock per gallon. But I am not 100% sure of that. I have 60lbs in my 55g. I wish I had more. As far as the sand bed goes just depends on if you want a deep sand bed or not. Some people like a 1" sand bed, some like up to 4". They bothe seem to have there pro's and con's.

I would use more live rock, I think you should have 1-2 pounds of live rock per gallon. But I am not 100% sure of that. I have 60lbs in my 55g. I wish I had more. As far as the sand bed goes just depends on if you want a deep sand bed or not. Some people like a 1" sand bed, some like up to 4". They bothe seem to have there pro's and con's.
how much did you spend on your LR and are you coral keeping I myself prefer a deep substrate....to be honest though i hate sand i'm running pFs in my cichlid tank and its just messy....I"m so freaking confused..i feel like i'm bout to go drain my saltwater and just make a frontosa tank...

I think I paid about $3.50 lb for my live rock. In the past I had some battles with my tank and was where you are now about to drain it. I decided 2 weeks ago I am going to get this tank running right again. My nitrates were over 160ppm and because of the help on this forum this morning they are down to 15ppm. The only advice I can give you on teh sand bed as what to do, is look at some photo's of saltwater tanks and see what you like the best. Pick a route and go. Some people are great at this hobby and others are not(like me). I do a lot of research and still don't have a tank I want. But, I am getting there. All aquariums are frustrating, just think how you will feel once we get past that and have a beautiful reef tank. I love this challenge. I will finish beating my nitrates. I have a photo in another forum called High Nitrates please help. If you want to see what a dsb and about 60lbs of live rock looks like in 55g. Some one on here was going to order live rock for $115 a box but not sure how many pounds it was from PetCo.com I personally like ordering live stuff from petsolutions.com and my equipment from either them or marinedepot.com. I am going to order a clean up crew from reffscavangers.com who I have never ordered from but there crew is a lot cheaper than anybody else I have seen.

Must be nice my LFS has live rock for $13.99 a pound. There are the only fish store other than petsmart and there prices really suck. Mag Drive 7=$189.99. 48" Orbit PC 260w fixture is $448.99. Everything I buy I buy online, LOL! **** there 3/4 hose is $2.99 a ft, LOL!

Dang are they still in business with prices like that!?!

yea i'm the one who was questioning the ordering from Petco....in the store the are freaking crazy....adv they are selling the instore which was beautiful in color at 16 bucks for a large 11 for a small so on...just stupid my lfs is about 13.99 to....ALSO YOU GET 45 LS FOR 115.....

Last edited:
been in business for 20 years. They are the only pet store around that sells saltwater, they can charge what they want. I have used them for emergencies for houses etc... everytime I am in there its packed. However I don't see many people in the saltwater section buying only looking. There Ocellaris Clownfish are $32.99 each, LOL!

alright i bought 90 bucks worth of Extremely premium liverokc from the LFS..per them I'm post pics..then i bought a few pieces of base ....i'm just trying to get my tank cycled...I'll be adding more of course...later....

At that price I would say go for it. It's almost as cheap as baserock...

Back
Top Bottom