Ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I assume it would be some form of carbonates (eg aragonite sand) but not a SW person. I did have at one stage a bottle of liquid carbonates that was for saltwater (but I was using to buffer a freshwater tank) so assume there are shop products out there as well.

What is your source water supply ? Simple baking soda will raise ph, but wont buffer it to a certain number, especially if your top off/water change water is acidic. Also what type of salt do you use ? And make sure your test strips or whatever are still good.

Do NOT add anything to raise the pH in your system. This almost always leads to issues, especially for those new to the hobby. PH is affected by the CO2 exchange going on in our closed systems. Because of this, it naturally goes up and down as day and night passes.
If one wants to alter the pH in the tank, it is done in two ways. One is to create more water movement at the surface of the tank. CO2 out and oxygen in means higher/more natural pH number. The second is algae. To grow and do their thing, they require light and so on...if one is using an algae type of filtration system like a refugium or algae turf scrubber, running it on an opposite lighting schedule from your display tank will create a stable pH level as the 'day' phase will be going on in this area when the lights go out in your display tank.

Back
Top Bottom