Ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nels22

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is the preferred level of Ph suppose to be at. My tank is at 8.2 right now with 30lbs of base rock and a 3-4in dsb. I have 60 lbs of lr coming from liverocks.com, and was wondering if the addition of 60lbs would raise my Ph more. I took the reading this afternoon, when the lights had been on for 8 hrs.

8.2 is right where you want to be. The pH will rise slowly through the photo period and drop at night. 8.1 to 8.3 is ideal changing no more than .1+/- over a 24 hour period. The addition of LR should have no effect on the pH at all. I am assuming this tank has no life in it and is still cycling, correct? If that is the case don't even worry about pH until the cycle is complete.

HTH,
R-

the tank isn't cycled, because i am waiting on the lr to help with the cycle. i was just wondering if that ph would be fine to put the new lr in the tank, i read on reefkeeping.com in a forum that ideal for a reef was 8.6 which is why i was wondering if the lr would increase it, but if 8.2 is good enough then i won't even worry about it

Honestly, your aquarium salt will buffer your water to a correct pH level. Your biggest concern should be with testing your alkalinity and establishing a buffer to keep your pH steady. Gereally, the pH in a saltwater tank tends to take care of itself if you do routine maintainance. The salt mix's today are just fabulous.

My Ph tends to climb quite a bit during the day. My measurement isn't THAT accurate, but it seems to approach 9 by day end. Come morning, it is right back to 8.2.

This might be driven by the fact that I drip Kalk 24 hrs/day to replace evaporation. I could stop the drip during the day, but then I would need to drip twice as much during the night, which might also be a shock.

Do you think I'm weak on buffer? Shouldn't my regular water changes be supplying adequate buffer? Kalk shouldn't be driving up my Ph unless the tank is having trouble pulling in CO2, right?

I keep a tight eye on Ca/Alk. They're both stable. I would just like to see my Ph stay more stable.

Are your calcium readings steady? It sounds like you may want to cut back some on the Kalk drip. I would suggest testing your pH, Calcium, and ALK reading all together and keeping a chart. Cut back some on the Kalk drip, see if you pH doesn't stabalize, and when you do I bet your Calcium / Alk readings stay stable.

Brad said:
Kalk shouldn't be driving up my Ph unless the tank is having trouble pulling in CO2, right?
The nightly drop of the pH would suggest it is pulling in CO2 but during the day, algaes promote O2 which drives natural pH upwards. Combine that with the pH of limewater (12+) at saturation and your elevated pH in the tank makes sense. The one main thing to be sure of is no solid particles from the limewater solution are entering the tank. That more than anything will contribute to higher than normal pH values. The addition of vinegar to the solution before dripping will break down forming CO2 which will help keep pH a little lower and more stable.

If your alk/Ca demands warrant the addition of limewater 24/7, cutting back won't solve your problem. You would end up needing additional suppliments all of which (except baking soda) will continue to drive the pH. Look for more ways to incorporate CO2 via organic acids and aeration for the most part.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom