PH..... low

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

landshark

Aquarium Advice Activist
How do I get my PH. to go up?? Its only 7.8.........add more salt ???

I'm not certain but I heard that baking soda brings up the pH. Hopefully someone else can chime in and point you in the right direction

Surface agitation will help bring it up. Face a powerhead up, you want gas exchange between your water and air... Is your tank covered?

Added some baking soda and salt mix....my PH is still 8.0....hasnt moved any.....what the crap??

I wouldn't use the baking soda trick as I have only heard that method in fresh water... How are your powerheads set up like I mentioned earlier?

pointing upwards....you think Ill get a better reading in a couple of hours? Youre right the baking soda didnt do anything.

I don't know about a couple hours but give it some time. How much agitation are you getting? If its minimal, and you can see a film on the water, then the gas exchange is being prevented...

Baking soda has a ph somewhere around 7.6-7.8. That's why it works to raise ph in a freshwater tank but may even lower it in a saltwater tamk. But it seems your ph did go up. Probably from the salt mix. 8.0 is fine. The more important thing is ph stability which is determined by alkalinity. What's yours at?

Heard many mixed reviews on crushed coral. Some say its good, some say it's a nitrate factory. I personally don't like how it looks for salt water tanks...

Crushed coral again is for fresh water tanks. The carbonates in the viral slowly release in the lower alkalanity environment that is fresh water. That helps stabilize it. In a saltwater system your Alk should already be higher than the coral so it wont release. Same thing for oyster shells.
They will all last decades in the ocean even after dying but will degrade in a freshwater system.

Back
Top Bottom