Phosphate Exporter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ctmedman

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is similar to my previous post but was wondering if anyone has ever tried using a phosphate exporting agent that works in conjunction with a skimmer? The one I was looking at is:

"Korallin PO4 minues phosphate exporter"

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=KL5111

I currently use RO/DI water but are trying to battle a cyano problem and looking to get rid of phosphates. I don't know what my phos values are now but I'm ordering the test kit.

TIA

I've heard that this product drives down Alkalinity (and related pH) so make sure you are not low in either of these ahead of time.

Additionally, use this product on the weekend because the white dust it creates needs to be removed from the skimmer on a regular basis. Otherwise, the P coated dust simply lands in the tank where it can be re-released.

Have you looked at phosban reactors? I have one and love it... works great.
Once you get the test kits you will know how bad the problem is.
Test your ro/di water also, if the Di is going bad it can let things pass through.

If you already are using an RO/DI unit then you might want to check your water turnaround.

What is the turn rate on your tank? I see you have a couple of powerheads, having at least a 10X water turnaround inside your tank might help with cyano. Is the algae all around your tank? Or is it in some spots? If in some spots, then you might have low water flowing there or even dead spots where cyano thrives...

Using agents to reduce PO4 is ok but it would be better to find the root of the problem in the first place.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom