phosphates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbarb1111

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is a phosphate reading of .1 high. Would this be enough to cause cyano and brown algae. I tested both the tank water and the makeup water and i get the same reading .1. Is there a way that i can remove the phosphates in the make up water before i add to tank.
i am using ro water.
Thanks

yes, .1ppm of phosphate could feed cyanobacteria. Brown algae is caused by diatoms, and will go away over time.
See if your source of R/O water includes a DI filter as well. DI should remove all phosphates, but if the filter's old, it'll leave traces behind.

What you need is to get water that is RO/DI. Does your LFS sell it? I bought mine from mine for years but they tended to let their filters go too long. I finally broke down and bought a unit of my own. What you should do is test the water before it goes in your tank

rbarb said they tested the tank and the 'makeup water' which must be their pre-mixed sea water...and both test .1ppm.

I agree, test the R/O water first before you mix in salt. Salt shouldn't add phosphates, but its good to be 100% sure about your R/O water being the only source.

Back
Top Bottom