picasso trigge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fisheye

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am just inesperienced I guess. I have a 75 gallon SW fish only with 80 pound of LR. A week after I added the picasso in the tank I noticed a massive algae bloom. At the first I though about some sort of contamination. this freak me out. As all of you guys I take this hobby extremely serious and I use only Ro water in my tank. Last night I looked carefully at the tank and I noticed that all my snails have been eaten by someone. I went to the internet and it seems that the picasso is a famous snails eater. The picasso is in quarantine now. So my question is. How can you guys can keep the picasso in the tank and do not have the all tank green from algae ? UV sterilizer maybe ?

Did you cycle the tank before adding the picasso?
I would try a phosphate remover/reduce lights.
The picasso can't be trusted with much else but other triggers. You'd need a larger tank, though.

picasso

you won't be able to keep a cleaning crew in with a trigger. They are complete pigs and will eat almost anything. Some other fish types can be kept with them but they should be in the tank before the picasso. Most fish added after your picasso will probably suffer some serious aggression from him. Cut down on the light for the algae problem.

I have read that a long spine urchin is about the only cleaner a trigger won't eat.

i've seen a trigger pull out spines of an urchin, and i've also seen them eat bristleworm after bristleworm, so i don't think the spines are gonna stop them. If you wanna keep the trigger i would suggest making a predator tank and investing in a good scraper and algae mop.

If you want to keep the trigger, the best way to control algea is to ensue excellent water paramters. Algea grows because of excess nutients in the water. Phosphates and nitrates are main culprets. It takes work, regular water changes and light feedings will help. A little elbow grease is also needed to manually clean the glass.

Back
Top Bottom