Picking up aquarium this weekend - What should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrFLGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Everyone,

I am picking up that 150 gallon tank on Saturday that I was talking about previously.

From what I hear, it is already setup and they have an eel in their now. I don’t think I want the eel so I’ll probably have them keep it since they have other tanks also.

My main question is, what do I do with the sand in their? Should I keep all of it? Change half of it?

I will be putting some live rock in their also so what else should keep from the previous setup!

Help needed!

TIA

what kind of setup are you going for. is it a fowlr, fo, reef. this will help determine what to keep and what not to keep.

I am thinking mostly FOWL but eventaully i'd like to have some coral in their also.

I plan on getting predominanly base rock and letting it seed. I don't mind waiting the extra time.

To recommend what you should keep we would need a detailed list. Off the top of my head, I would recommend setting it up, exactly the way it is set up now, thoroughly descripe the system and equipmet to us and then we can offer suggestion on how to modify it, but IMO, you don't want to be mucking up too much when your moving it, there will be enough stress, just let everything stabalize a bit before starting to make drastic changes.

Thanks for the tip.

I was mainly wondering about the sand that is in their now. Is it wise to change some of it, all of it, or none of it? Just wondering what I need to plan for?

Thanks!

There be no reason to change it at all really. If it's already full of good critters why start over.. Whats the rock look like? Is it live? You may get a set up thats all dialed in for you. Add water, wait a week see what stuff looks like and if all tests are good then add a few fish at a time...

I wouldn't disturb the sand. If you need to take the sand out to move the tank then don't reuse the sand, at least not with fish for a few days. The crap released from the sand will pollute the tank. If you start out with new sand, used a few lbs of the old sand to seed the new sand bed.
If you leave the sand in the tank (with a little water over the top of it) and can move the tank, that's the best option.

Thanks!

We'll probably try and leave the sand in their. I'll have 2 other people helping with the move so we should be OK.

Just wondering if I should change some of the sand with fresh sand but I guess i'd have to see the condition first.

Back
Top Bottom