Pico For sexy shrimp (Thor amboinensis)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aluka

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi!

I am obsessed with shrimps! But most of the shrimps i keep are freshwater. I have been looking at sexy shrimps and they are just so cute and adorable. So i would really like to start a tank for them.

Unfortunately, i know close to nothing about saltwater. What is the minimum that i need for the shrimps? I would like to keep about 2-4 of them in a pico tank

Things that i need?:
Tank - 2.5 gallon (have)
Heater - 25w adjustable?
Filter - Hob (probably AC 20?)
Substrate - Live sand + crush coral
hardscape - Cured live rocks
Light - I have two 3w LED 6500k and 3w LED460nm Actinic Blue (is that enough?)

Is that enough for them? or is there something i am missing? Do i need to keep an anemone with them? What else can i keep with them? any corals?

Sexy shrimp are awesome! I can see why you want them. If this is your first saltwater tank it is certainly going to be a challenge! As a rule small tanks are more difficult to look after, a good recommendation for a first salt tank is a 55 or larger - this is because it is easier to maintain stable parameters but also because the hobby is very addictive and most people want to upgrade ;) having said that I don't want to put you off, your equipment list looks good - but it's good for you to know that this size will require daily maintenance to keep your water stable, particularly when it comes to salinity as inverts are very sensitive to swings. If anything I would consider at least 10g if you can? The bigger the better! As for anemones that's a whole other ball game but you could add some soft corals and polyps with that light. It would also be a good idea to get yourself an ro-di unit as tap water is no good for salt water. Any other questions just ask!

Yes, this will be my first full salt water tank. But I do keep alot of freshwater shrimps, so i am hoping it will help, they also require RO water, so i got that covered.

Besides topping off and feeding, what other daily maintenance would i have to do? Will a cover help with evaporation a bit?

The evaporation is the main thing. Water evaporates and the salt doesn't, so trying to balance the salinity is the key :) a lid would help with that but an open top is preferred for oxygen exchange. For something that small it would be easy to pour some ro in every morning. It will just take a while to get the routine right...

Back
Top Bottom