Pico Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your tank is looking awesome! I like the striped mushroom you have. :) and I'm jealous of your cleaner shrimp!

Thanks! I love corals and can't wait to keep adding! Just need some better lights first. The mushrooms were originally on the sand bed and they weren't too happy. I moved them up and they are finally laying flat! As good as that is, it just tells me that these lights aren't going to go far :(

Just ordered a Par38 for my tank! Thanks Convict! I can't wait till it gets here! I'm already thinking about more corals!!! Once it arrives I'll be definitely adding, more pictures soon to come.

Took this picture last night. This is why I got into SW aquariums! I can't wait till my new Par38 comes. This is already awesome but when the new light arrives, it's going to be outstanding!

Attachments

• image-1822547794.jpg
    image-1822547794.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 118
My cleaner shrimp was dead this morning.. 5 days after I got him. All my parameters have been stable except a slight increase in salinity after a water change 1.023 to 1.025. I'm sad :( do you think he was sick before I got him?

I once thought mine had died but I was looking at his shell which he had just molted, then he popped up! If he's really dead could be he was sick or just old, sorry : (

You don't need a protein skimmer on a pico tank. Most people say you don't need one unless your tank is over 30 gallons.

You don't have to use the filter, but since its already there, why not?

+1 the dude at the LFS is just trying to make money off you, Theres no need to run a skimmer on a pico tank. Also skimmers for small tanks dont work for $h!t. You dont need the filter thing. I would use the area for some type of phosphate removed or running carbon every now and then. I use my chamber in my pico for phosphate products.

+1 the dude at the LFS is just trying to make money off you, Theres no need to run a skimmer on a pico tank. Also skimmers for small tanks dont work for $h!t. You dont need the filter thing. I would use the area for some type of phosphate removed or running carbon every now and then. I use my chamber in my pico for phosphate products.

Phosphate removed? What do you mean for phosphate products? I haven't heard much about this !?!?

I'm so pissed. For the last couple weeks my tank has consistently had nitrates. I even would do water changes and there would be no change in nitrates. I get all my water from my LFS. I finally decided to test their water before I added it to my tank.... It has trace ammonia in it.

So since I lost my cleaner shrimp, I was curious about my nessarius... If I don't have any fish, and there are no leftover feeding scraps... What do they eat? I know they eat detritus but is there enough in a tank that has no fish??

They are omnivores who eat detritus, fish food and algae. If you don't have enough algae you can feed him some pellet food but not too much. All inverts are sensitive to high nitrates and copper medications.

Update:

I rescaped a bit since the last picture....actually, a lot lol :p

Just got a birdsnest today. Well the guy said it wasn't quite a birdsnest, but related to it. I got it for $24, which I think is a steal!

I also added two turbo snails to handle a little bit of algea that I've been getting.

One of my mushrooms has shriveled up, within the last couple hours. Never seen it so little before.

Hope you all like the pictures

Attachments

• image-325497316.jpg
    image-325497316.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 128
  • image-1207985539.jpg
    image-1207985539.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 124
  • image-2320500891.jpg
    image-2320500891.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 122
  • image-1384105575.jpg
    image-1384105575.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 143
  • image-970988120.jpg
    image-970988120.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 152
Thanks! I feel like everything is going so well! My parameters are looking great too! The only thing is I have this algea? I think it's hair algea, what do you think?

Either that or a bubble algea because I've seen my emerald take a few bites

Also I got great news! I got a job after I graduate in May! Soooo that means an upgrade is coming!!! I'm thinking of turning this tank to a small frag tank for zoas and mushrooms and then a large display tank. I just need to find a new apartment closer to my job and see what their policy is on fish tanks.

Attachments

• image-1491533000.jpg
    image-1491533000.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 95
Well it's been a while but I have lots of news!

1) my corals are growing well and still looking great! I recently added a two headed hammer coral.

2) my gf and I had our anniversary and she got me a new 55 gallon, a 20 gallon, 2 Hydor Koralia 850s and a new 250watt heater!

3) my second emerald crab has a fat sack on the under side which I'm assuming was eggs or whatever.... And now as I look around the tank I see thousands of little black specs everywhere and they move ... Wondering if I got some new emeralds :)

4) still haven't decided where I'm going to live yet, but I can't wait to move so I can start the new tank!!!

Attachments

• image-1340527422.jpg
    image-1340527422.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 101
Back
Top Bottom