Pico Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Searchin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,

I am really interested in starting a pico reef tank. I have been looking at 5 gal tanks to buy. I have read some very successful stories on AA. Some that started with the fluval chi. I just went to PetsCo and saw this fluval spec. I wanted to get some thoughts on it.

My goal is to only have a few corals and a Small CUC...tbd once cycled. I would like live sand and live rock to be the filtration.

The spec has a filter in it. I'm thinking that will actually be a bad thing because I don't think it's made for saltwater and I think it will rust.

I also found this tetra 5 g starter tank at Walmart. It too says it has a filtration, but I don't see it in the picture. This tank looks pretty good to me since its basically a blank canvas.

I intend on adding a power head as well as purchase LED lights. Not sure which yet, I'll consider it more as I get going.

What do you guys think!?

Attachments

• image-899536134.jpg
    image-899536134.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 197
  • image-1312894835.jpg
    image-1312894835.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 177
  • image-2251529662.jpg
    image-2251529662.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 155
Do you think the filter on it will be enough water movement that I wouldn't need a power head? Same question goes for the LED lights that the spec comes with, would it be enough or will I still need additional lights?

Do you think the filter on it will be enough water movement that I wouldn't need a power head? Same question goes for the LED lights that the spec comes with, would it be enough or will I still need additional lights?

Also, is there no concern of rust?

No rust. Depending on what corals you want the flow and lights won't or will be an issue. Fish only your fine. Easy corals like mushrooms your fine.

Ok I'm going to pick up that spec! I also just ordered an aquarium heater! Will I have to wait for the heater to start cycling? My apartment gets pretty cold and I feel like it will slow bacteria growth.

That spec looks awesome!

I'd wait for the heater to arrive. In the meantime you can make sure you have everything you need before you start cycling. I can't wait to see this come together! :)

My bro has a small mantis shrimp in a spec... He had a piece of glass cut for the opening on top and put little feet on the corners ... To prevent escape and to help deter evap compared to open top( also prevent stuff gettin to water surface) i started into the pico world with a 3gallon eclipse:)

Update!

What I bought:
Fluval spec V
TruAqua 100 watt digital thermometer/ heater ( in mail)
Refractometer
Master API kit
Live sand

Still to come:
Live rock

I have a few questions about the filter that comes with the fluval spec v..

1) Do I need it? In general, can I simply relay on natural filtration from live rock and sand?

2) is the bioinsert or carbon necessary?

3) The guy at my LFS said I WILL need a protein skimmer. Is that true? If I do need a protein skimmer, I was thinking I would just take out the filter that was provided and replace it with the skimmer... Any thoughts?

Thanks! Will be starting cycling as soon as my heater/ live rock arrives!!

Attachments

• image-800782574.jpg
    image-800782574.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 176
You don't need a protein skimmer on a pico tank. Most people say you don't need one unless your tank is over 30 gallons.

You don't have to use the filter, but since its already there, why not?

Thanks! haha i dont want to buy a "cheap" skimmer! The guy at the LFS also said that the filter would eventually cause more harm than good. Is that true?

Thanks! haha i dont want to buy a "cheap" skimmer! The guy at the LFS also said that the filter would eventually cause more harm than good. Is that true?

I don't think so. If you give the sponge and little media bags a rinse in the tank water you remove during your weekly water changes then there shouldn't be a problem. The sponge will grow beneficial bacteria as well as the media bag with the bio rings. You don't have to run the carbon if you don't want to, but it won't hurt anything to run it.

I don't think so. If you give the sponge and little media bags a rinse in the tank water you remove during your weekly water changes then there shouldn't be a problem. The sponge will grow beneficial bacteria as well as the media bag with the bio rings. You don't have to run the carbon if you don't want to, but it won't hurt anything to run it.

I actually just read today that you're supposed to rinse the filter media in fresh water to clean it off.

I saw this before and read the whole fresh water tank water thing. I've never used tap. I've always rinsed in tank water and over a year later I have no issue to report. Is that because I don't washout anything in tap? Couldn't say but I'm not about to find out lol.

I have the spec, it's fantastic! The filter has a very nice flow similar to a Powerhead. If you're doing coral, keep the filter and you can skip the skimmer and Powerheads. The LEDs, I have found, are good for mushrooms but I've never tried anything else. The cool thing about the filter box is you can put the heater in the side that holds the filter pump. Good luck!

most LED comes with Fluval set up are 5000K, so it would eventually turn all coral in the tank brown, you will need to replace them with at least 12000K

most LED comes with Fluval set up are 5000K, so it would eventually turn all coral in the tank brown, you will need to replace them with at least 12000K

I suggest a par38 bulb. Mine is 12W LED. 4 whites, 6 blue, 1 green, 1 red. It puts off a really nice color. Not too blue, not to white. :)

Do you have a link for your par38 bulb?

Update:

Went out and bought ~ 5 lbs of rock. Added my sand and saltwater! Today is day 1 of the nitrogen cycle! I figure I can wait a few days before I test, since it will start out pretty slow. Ill take my first readings on Sunday! Here is a cloudy picture!

As soon as it clears up ill upload another!

Attachments

• image-823317565.jpg
    image-823317565.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 111
Do you have a link for your par38 bulb?

Update:

Went out and bought ~ 5 lbs of rock. Added my sand and saltwater! Today is day 1 of the nitrogen cycle! I figure I can wait a few days before I test, since it will start out pretty slow. Ill take my first readings on Sunday! Here is a cloudy picture!

As soon as it clears up ill upload another!

What are you using as your source of ammonia?

I will see if I can find the link for you.

Back
Top Bottom