Planning A 10g Saltwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm planning a saltwater 10g tank. I really admire saltwater fish and have decided to start something small of my own. Unfortunately, I know nothing about saltwater fish.

I just want some good ideas for stocking. I want to get two snails to keep the tank clean. As for fish, I don't want any fish that like big schools. If there are any schools, I want the maximum number to be three so I can have a nice variety. Are there any good small, solitary fish that would do good in my tank?

I also want to have live plants and corals. Any suggestions?

Also, just one more question. Do you need a special filter for saltwater tanks or can I just use any?

Thanks a bunch! I'm more of a freshwater person so this is all new to me.

Main things you need to know for a small reef:
1: don't skimp on live rock. 10 lbs minimum

2: live sand. Close to 10 lbs

3: water: try and get pre mixed from your lfs ( local fish store) mixing water for the first time could be difficult, require more gadgets, and contain impurities from your tap. You will still need a hydrometer to measure salt content in the tank. I recommend keeping water at 1.023, as salinity will rise fast from evaporation in a 10 gal.

4: lighting: lots of options here. If you can afford it, get led,s. It shouldn't be too expensive for a small tank, and you will need good lighting for corals. They also make power compact fixtures that would be good for a small tank. Pretty much anything but standard t8's. You are looking for 3-5 watts per gallon.

5: filter: your main filtration is going to be biological from the live rock and sand, but a small hang on back filter should be applied for mechanical and chemical filtration. I would get something that allows you to remove the carbon, as I only run it about one week out of the month (it removes good things too) also something with good water flow would save you the need for a power head.

6: flow: you are going to look for about 10x flow rate, or 100 gallons per hour in a 10 gal. Should be enough with your filter, or you could buy a pump if you want more.

7: protein skimmer: don't get one.

8: water changes: let your tank mature about 3 weeks adding nothing but the live rock and sand. Top off with fresh ( preferably ro/di ) water. After your tank cycles, you are going to Change about 2 gallons of water out of your tank with new salt water. This will remove dissolved waste and replenish trace elements.

There are many "nano" fish available for a small reef, and tons of invertebrates. The cool thing is you still get the reef experience even in something so small. Good luck! Feel free to message me with questions.

Wow! That's a lot of info. Thank you sooo much! I will go by this advice. Do you have any recommendations for fish and corals too? Thank you a bunch!

You can put whatever corals you want as long as you have the light to support it. No anenomes for at least 8 months because they need an established tank. They need the trace minerals in the water to do well, an that wont happen until around 8 months. 10 gallons is very limited for fish. I would not put a clown in that size tank, i would only put a firefish and a goby like a watchman or clown. Add whatever shrimp you want as long as they are peaceful!

Ok I understand that my choices are limited here because it's a small tank. I want fish that don't live in schools that are too big so I can have more of a variety. Do fire fish or goby live in schools? And do either of them eat snails because I wanted a couple of those. Can I use apple snails or are those freshwater only?

Haha ya you will need special saltwater snails. And the firefish and clown goby live perfectly well on their own :) options are definitly limited, but you could make a killer nano reef.

Yeah that's what I thought about the snail. Nerite snails are saltwater, right? And if fire fish and gobies are good on their own, what other fish can I get?

To tell you the truth 2 fish is probably almost full. But this is what i think, if you got a firefish and clown goby (very small) then you could get maybe another fish like a pajama cardinal :)

Yes nerite snails are saltwater!

Ok so I'll look into fire fish, gobies, and pajama cardinals. Thanks a bunch! I'll also get the nerite snails. Does the one inch of fish per gallon rule apply here? If so, I'll go by that but Ive never been completely sure if it's accurate or not.

Nope that is a bad rule for saltwater. I mean blue tangs need about 180 gallons, but only reach 12" MAX! So you definitly need to ask others about what fish you should add. 3 fish would be stretching it, but you can do it! :)

Oh okay well then I think I'll stick around the fire fish, goby, and cardinal. Are you sure I can't add any more fish? In freshwater you can usually have a few more in a 10g despite how small it is. Do saltwater fish add more ammonia or something?

Saltwater fish are more fragile and they need more room to swim. They get stressed easier, i mean think about it, most of the fish were pulled from the ocean and are shoved in the same tank. To give you a guideline i am only putting 5 fish in my 30 gallon reef and they are all small fish. I have had only 2 fish in there for 3 months. Trust me im not pulling your leg :)

Oh okay I trust you I'm just used to freshwater rules.

Thank you so much for all the advice. You've been really helpful!

Haha that article said they are fine in 5 gallons and up! They are perfect for nano reef tanks :) i would definitly get one... And MAYBE a clown fish and a clown goby :) explore the options, there are many!

pjs get too big for a 10g. They're small at first, but i've usually seen them at 3 inches or more fully grown. False (fancy) Ocelaris clowns could be the right size, but they don't tend to pair or host, so the normal "clown" stuff is bred right out of them. Shrimp, Snails (or hermits), clown goby (awesome fish btw). Watchmen goby, maybe a firefish. That would be it. Now, upgrade to a twenty long, and you can have a lot more fun

Oh nvm i read it wrong. Hahaha I feel stupid :p. Ooh I love clownfish I think I'll go for a fire fish, clown goby, and clownfish. I edited the link out of my last post because I saw that I read it wrong. Ok I think Ive got my stocking list all set.

Just one more important question: how do I make the water salty? Oh, and will normal dechlorimator work here too?

uh.oh... said:
pjs get too big for a 10g. They're small at first, but i've usually seen them at 3 inches or more fully grown. False (fancy) Ocelaris clowns could be the right size, but they don't tend to pair or host, so the normal "clown" stuff is bred right out of them. Shrimp, Snails (or hermits), clown goby (awesome fish btw). Watchmen goby, maybe a firefish. That would be it. Now, upgrade to a twenty long, and you can have a lot more fun

Lol while your at it why not upgrade to a 200 gallon long? Haha thats how it always goes :) so have we found a nice stock?
1 firefish
1 occ clown
1 clown goby
2 cleaner shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
5 hermits
5 snails

This is just what i think.....

uh.oh... said:

I'm good with just that. I don't think my mom would let me do 20 she says I have to many fish. I only have 4 bettas right now :(. I just want to see if I'm successful with so something small first. I think I'll do a 100-200g in the future that would be fun!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Lol while your at it why not upgrade to a 200 gallon long? Haha thats how it always goes :) so have we found a nice stock?
1 firefish
1 occ clown
1 clown goby
2 cleaner shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
5 hermits
5 snails

This is just what i think.....

That sounds perfect! Thank you so much. My LPS doesn't sell hermits so I might skip those

I agree with most of what nu-nu says. Clownfish will be fine for this tank. I would recommend them as one of the first to go in there, as long as you let it cycle and do the 10+ pounds of live rock. I have kept a clownfish and a yellow watchman/ pistol shrimp pair in a 3 gal for 7 months now and they are happy and healthy. Firefish will be good, as long as it is covered, they WILL jump. You can have more fish than most people recommend, as long as you let the tank establish itself. You can do 2-3 fish + clean-up crew in the first 6 weeks. After 6 months you can do another 1 or 2, as long as you keep up with water changes and they are compatable. Just make sure they are small. Royal gramma, scooter blenny, hover line, clown goby or shrimp goby (1 or the other), maybe a six line wrasse, cardinal, pseudochromis, and a few other good fish would work. Along with some real cool shrimp and crabs.

Back
Top Bottom