Planning a reef tank ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Get an API Master Test kit. Make sure it is for saltwater.
Anemone's can be tricky. You shouldn't get them for atleast 6 months after set up to make sure everything is stable.

Sniperhank said:
Get an API Master Test kit. Make sure it is for saltwater.
Anemone's can be tricky. You shouldn't get them for atleast 6 months after set up to make sure everything is stable.

I would tend to agree about the nem. Mine is still pretty finicky. As for the test kit ati master for saltwater is a good one. Just whatever you do please don't get the test strips. They are really expensive and don't keep very long. I would get the single tests for calcium and magnesium once you start adding coral but you don't really need them until then. the master kit doesn't have alkalinity in it but I would add that right away and hold off on calcium and magnesium until you start adding coral. You can also test for phosphate but since you will be using ro water it shouldn't really be an issue. Oh but you will know if you have phosphates if you don't have a test kit either way! The film and hair algea will go crazy lol any more questions feel free to ask. We are here to help :)

Did anyone have any opinions on the sea urchin? And what is you're experience with clams? I saw something like the one in the picture below at the lfs yesterday.

Ime, i have never seen a reef safe urchin. They knock to much around. That unit is solid. I was looking for a 6 bulb by aquaticlife. Being honest, if you want clams you'll want more than 4 bulbs. And from all the research ive done in the last month it is more cost effective to get leds. Mr x got some units for 150 bucks off ebay. Some chinese knock off. No bells or whistles just on and off. They are treating his sps corals great. If he gives them his seal of approval then that is close to the word of god to me. I personally will be spending much more on my leds for the bells and whistles, only because how im set up i require them.

Or you can get six bulb t5s for $150. Go to aquatraders.com and order a 4 bulb 48" t5 fixture and a 2 bulb 48" t5 fixture. You'll be able to grow SPS.

Sniperhank said:
Ime, i have never seen a reef safe urchin. They knock to much around. That unit is solid. I was looking for a 6 bulb by aquaticlife. Being honest, if you want clams you'll want more than 4 bulbs. And from all the research ive done in the last month it is more cost effective to get leds. Mr x got some units for 150 bucks off ebay. Some chinese knock off. No bells or whistles just on and off. They are treating his sps corals great. If he gives them his seal of approval then that is close to the word of god to me. I personally will be spending much more on my leds for the bells and whistles, only because how im set up i require them.

I'd like the urchin, but I did read that you have to have your rock very secure or they could knock it over. I'll just have to get more experienced. Maybe make a little nano tank one day and had some rock, a clam, and an urchin. Lol!

Thanks for the info on lights!

(what does sps stand for?)

Ibrahim said:
Or you can get six bulb t5s for $150. Go to aquatraders.com and order a 4 bulb 48" t5 fixture and a 2 bulb 48" t5 fixture. You'll be able to grow SPS.

Thank you for the info! I've been looking on aquatraders right now. Do tanks need the moonlights? I was thinking moonlights would be cool! A giant living nightlight for the living room...

I post too much...

How many gpg should my power head pump? I have no idea. Just a reminder- Im looking into a 55 gallon long tank.

The lfs guy said I could get two pumps and put one on each side of the rank and have them set on timers so one goes for a while and then the other goes for a while.

Bearchumjs said:
I post too much...

How many gpg should my power head pump? I have no idea. Just a reminder- Im looking into a 55 gallon long tank.

The lfs guy said I could get two pumps and put one on each side of the rank and have them set on timers so one goes for a while and then the other goes for a while.

Stupid phone- not gpg, gph.

For powerheads, I would look into (2) options: On the budget, but still awesome side - Hydor Koralia 750's. You would get two, and they are great. You can find them on Amazon shipped for $35 each.

On the high end, and even more awesome, would be the Ecotech Vortech MP-10w ES's. These are about $285 each, and they are fantastic.

Lighting:

I was a big fan of the AquaticLife fixture that I had. Mine was a 4-bulb and I replaced the bulbs with ATI bulbs. (2) Aquablue specials and (2) blue pluses. They did really well for me and I kept a nice mixed reef under them.

I agree, however, that if you are serious into keeping some of the more light demanding SPS (small polyp stoney) corals, you will either want a 6+ T5 fixture or "Good" LEDs.

As far as the built in timer, I loved it. It was super easy and never had any issues. Mr. X has brought up the point though, that if your timer goes out, you are SOL. You can buy fixtures without the timers and get the $5 timers from walmart or homedepot to use.

I have since upgraded to LED's myself and love them.

As for your ealier questions about flow (gph), it depends on what you do. For a FOWLR the rule is 10x, but since you are looking for a reef, the answer is 30-50x per hour with the leaning towards 50.

So 55x 30= 1650, 55x 50 = 2750gph. Anywhere in that range should be sufficient.

I would also recommend adding a sump system to your tank. Basically, another smaller tank under your tank to hold more water volume, plus the heater, skimmer, and return pump can be hidden in there as well.

Canister filters aren't really used much in SW, as the reef tank typically puts most of the filtration needs into biological filtration from the liverock in the tank. A good rule is 1-1.5lbs per gallon of rock. So 55-83lbs of rock.

Some of this could be in the sump as well. A refugium typically works best in the sump as well with some macro algae like Chaeto in it for added nutrient removal.

TLTGF said:
As far as the built in timer, I loved it. It was super easy and never had any issues. Mr. X has brought up the point though, that if your timer goes out, you are SOL. You can buy fixtures without the timers and get the $5 timers from walmart or homedepot to use.

That is a very good point. I might as well get the homedepot timers and save some money.

(2) powerheads are generally recommended so that you can have good, variable, flow patterns in your reef

In my 36 gal bowfront, i am running 2 750 and one 550 koralias. I have a 1050 coming since I am upgrading to my 55 gal. I will prob keep the 750s and add the 1050, then using the 550 to stir up saltwater.

Ok- I posted before I saw the gph post...

So if I got 2 of the 1400 gph units would that work? Or do they make one for 2700 gph.

I am really unclear on the whole sump thing. I guess because I've never seen on working I cant picture how it works. Time to hit YouTube and more Internet sites!

Here is what I think happens. Something pumps water into the sump bucket where live rock is housed. Then the live rock filters the water and the water is returned to the tank somehow?

Why is this necessary if I have coral and live rock in the aquarium?

Thank you all for being so patient and explaining everything. It's like a whole new world to me!

Back
Top Bottom