Planning my 210 gallon reef tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, since the rodi is used you should replace all of the filters

It's much cheaper isn't it?

Yes it is and you don't have to worry bout the bad things that come on rock you buy. Just don't do it in the tank. I did it in a big brute with power head salt mix was dosing bio-fuel and B7 from brightwell after week two I put in the skimmer.

Yes it is and you don't have to worry bout the bad things that come on rock you buy. Just don't do it in the tank. I did it in a big brute with power head salt mix was dosing bio-fuel and B7 from brightwell after week two I put in the skimmer.

How much cheaper?

I just set up a 210 with a sump. You will need a pump to move water from the sump to the tank. You will need at least a couple of good power heads. I used two vortech mp40s. They are pricey but awesome powerheads. You will need a heater, and skimmer. I have a reef octopus 3000 sss. This skimmer is amazing! This is the first large tank I have that has a sump. One thing that shocked me was the amount of evaporation. I have to use about 2 gallons of ro di water to top it off from evaporation each day. So be prepared :). Also you will need good lights if you plan on having corals. And research tons! I did my own pumbing under the tank so make sure you understand all of that before you start! Good luck :)

I just set up a 210 with a sump. You will need a pump to move water from the sump to the tank. You will need at least a couple of good power heads. I used two vortech mp40s. They are pricey but awesome powerheads. You will need a heater, and skimmer. I have a reef octopus 3000 sss. This skimmer is amazing! This is the first large tank I have that has a sump. One thing that shocked me was the amount of evaporation. I have to use about 2 gallons of ro di water to top it off from evaporation each day. So be prepared :). Also you will need good lights if you plan on having corals. And research tons! I did my own pumbing under the tank so make sure you understand all of that before you start! Good luck :)

You seem like just the person I need. Do I need to purchase all of this retail?

Probably so. But what I would do is find what you want and then ask opinions on here about the equipment. Just a lesson I have learned is that I would buy something because it was cheaper and then down the road I would have to buy a better one because it didnt work very good. So ask opinions before you buy equipment. (That will save you money in the long run :) ) if you dont have experience I would start of with a fish only with live rock and then eventually you can move up to corals if you want. Start off slow and learn about everything. By the way, it is addicting :)

Is there a place where I can get my equipment for a better price?

The tubing is cheap at my local HD. But I used PVC HD has at good price. The two mp40 that he's talking bout is not for the sump it's for the DT. For that size tank I would do a sump/refugium in there you can put heater,temp probe,ph probe and you already know that your return pump goes in on of the return. Also I would split the line that feeds the sump like you see in my pic. So you can have control of the flow going to the refugium.

Bulk reef supply usually has comparable prices. You can also sign up for their "rewards" program. For every dollar you spend, you get a point that you can "cash in" towards a purchase. Bulk reef supply has really good "how to" videos to help set up a tank. Also Foster and Smith have good prices. I buy my salt from them and if you spend at least $50 you get free shipping.

Bulk reef supply usually has comparable prices. You can also sign up for their "rewards" program. For every dollar you spend, you get a point that you can "cash in" towards a purchase. Bulk reef supply has really good "how to" videos to help set up a tank. Also Foster and Smith have good prices. I buy my salt from them and if you spend at least $50 you get free shipping.

So you used all hard PVC pipe?

Back
Top Bottom