Planted sump help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toronto scarz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. Im finally done my 240gallon. I will have it upstairs with 55g sump in basement. I plan to have 1 pump do all. From 240 main it will drain down to basement fish room going through a 35gal full planted tank,
than a 90 gallon discus tank and
than 55gal cichlid tank
than 55gallon sump
Than back to main and repeat.
Will the planted tank help with nitrates if the plants are not in the same tank as the fish? Would it be better to have the planted tank the last tank before sump? I plan on putting more more tanks in basement eventually. Plan it all working with 1 pump and sponge filters. I spent 800 on pump and 400 on plumbing already. Want it done right but efficient. Any suggestions?

As a general rule in tank plants don't really help that much with nitrate; tanks that grow out of the tank (floaters and similar) help more. Of course the amount they help depends on the number of plants and other factor.
-
Having said that your question is if the water flow from the tank into the sump will the plants in the sump help. Well they will help to the extent that plants help. It matters not where the fish are located physically if it is the 'same' water. I've actually seen some interesting layouts where the water running to the sump run through a number of large 'open' pipes with plants growing out of them for the sake of sucking up nitrate. Of course this is a bit more extreme as the number of plants was quite significant and being emersed growth they were more effective at removing nitrate. Having said this i'm not recommending this layout per sey just noting it with regards to your question.

Since you're all into this complicated and plumbing system anyway, you might consider incorporating aquaponics with terrestrial plants. Aquaponics system stock insanely densely compared to hobby aquariums because the plant beds do help quite a bit with nitrates (lots of biofilter surface area). You could make planting beds out of a split 55 gallon drum even and it wouldn't take up too much space. I'll be super interested to see your progress if you go this route because it's something I've fantasized about...

That makes sense. Do u mean just keep the roots in the water? Any plants you suggest? Fast growing i know. I was thinking putting some type of vine from one of the tanks around the room. I never thought of dedicating 1 tank to purely above ground plants. I have enough Acrylic to make a 10"tall x6ft long tank. Would be perfect

Generally aquaponics is used for growing food, so you could do fast growing ornamentals if you want, but it would also be great for a basement herb/lettuce garden. You wouldn't just put water in, but there are lots of options for different grow media for the plants to root in like gravel or hydroton.

Back
Top Bottom