please advise on my new gear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

srgetz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like your opinion on the filter and skimmer i just bought (I can still return them!) for my new AGA 45g which will be FOWLR. To give you some background, I will be adding 1-1.5lb/g LR over the next 2 months, along with live sand (considering dsb) and cleaning critters, then a pair of perculas and 1 other small fish. Today I bought the gear, I have 400gph & 200 gph powerheads with prefilters. The filter is a Rena XP2 cansiter (300gph 6.6L) $85 & the skimmer is the Red Sea Prizm deluxe $80. From what I have read in Conscientious Marine Aquarist, this should be sufficient filtration given the lively circulation and rock. I have read the Prizm is tricky but given patience, works well. I don't feel like spending much more on this stuff, but I would like to get your feedback as well as other possible options in that price range.

lmkbubblfsh.gif

to AquariumAdvice.com!!

I'm not a big fan of cannister filters, so take this with a grain of salt ;)

I will be adding 1-1.5lb/g LR over the next 2 months, along with live sand (considering dsb) and cleaning critters

If you do this you have no need for the cannister filter, maybe occasionally to run carbon in, but not full tiime.

400gph & 200 gph powerheads

Leave the prefilters off...and just use these, add on more smallish powerhead for a little more intricicy in the flow.

the skimmer is the Red Sea Prizm deluxe $80.

I personally would return that skimmer and spend a few more dollars and get a bak pak 2 or a remora, with the remora being my first choice. If you were to return both...you should have enough money to buy either of the other two skimmers mentioned above.

While I understand not wanting to spend more money now, with items like a skimmer....you may find it necessary to spend the money later after it's too late to take back the one you have now.

Ok, admittedely in the beginning I was thinking of just a HOB penguin 330 @$20 for filtration as I will have LR n sand. Maybe that & the upgraded skimmer is the way to go? BTW, how soon do I need the skimmer? the pet store tech said not till around 6 months...

Back
Top Bottom