Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ssky

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello All,
I need help in understanding why I have lost few fishes. Ihad a pair of clown and they were very happy in my 46 gallon tank which was 2 months old. Then I added 3 chromis pretty big size ones. Just in a few days my clows were dead. After a few more days 2 out of my 3 chromis dead. I don't know why. Some people said that chromis are mean fishes and they hound other peaceful ones. Mine being larger size must have hounded them to death.

After a month of having only one chromis and a couple of shrimp nd handfull of CUC, I bought royal gramma being told they are very hardy fish. But 2 days later she is dead too.

I have checkd my water parameters and they are correct. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, <5 nitrates, ph 8.2, water temp 76 F.

So guys help me understand what is going on in my tank? Shall I take the lonely chrmis and return to LFS and start over with clown?

Do a 50% water change?

Anything else? I am baffled and really saddened with such a loss. I have very happy seeing my clowns running around for food in my tank.

Please help

Thank you
Sky

If the nitrates are that low, why do a 50% water change?
Chromis are odd fish. They 'school'...but I've never heard of a time when they won't slowly but surely pick each other off until only one remains.
That said, I'm not aware of aggression from chromis towards something like clowns. Clownfish are damsels, as damsels are aggressive fish I would expect the bullying behavior to be going the other way around.
If you really liked the clowns, then trade the remaining fish in for another pair of clowns. I would then sit and be patient about what else to put in the tank. It takes me a very long time to add a fish to my reef. I watched the wrasse I added on the 12th for several weeks to be sure it was healthy and would be up for going into the tank and the stress of establishing a territory of its own. Along with that, you'll have a better idea if there is any disease in the tank as well.

Back
Top Bottom