Please help me choose my live rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elzool

Aquarium Advice Regular
I keep looking at lr for my 75 g tank and can't decide what to buy, one day it's rock A, the next day B and the next it's C.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

I have 60# of hirocks for base rock, 30 pounds of aragamax sand and wanted to get 100# of lr and 45# of ls.

I have four ideas.

A. Use a lfs that has about 1200# of rock setup to pick out myself. They have Tonga, Pukani and Fiji. I figure I'd spend about $650 there picking out my mix of shapes, sizes and types. The rock has nice shapes and I could pick exactly what I wanted. Just because they call it live rock doesn't mean there is really anything on it though. It's pretty barren of any life at all, little green and tiny patches of orange/red.

B. Buy from liveaquaria and get 30# of Lalo, 36# of Tonga Ridge/Shelf 30# of Tonga Deepwater. I figure I'd spend $544. I'd get what I get and have to deal with the shapes and sizes.

C. Buy a package from tampabaysaltwater. Their 55gallon package has 110# of their 'deco' rock, 55# of ls, 55 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, 28 Astrea Snails, 2 Tiger Tails, 2 Serpent or Brittle Stars and 2 Peppermint Shrimp for $775 shipped air freight. Again, I wouldn't get to pick my own sizes and shapes and have to deal with it. It does seems like a decent deal though as that price includes ls and cleaner crew.

D. Buy a couple show size pieces from the lfs and the rest from tbs or liveaquaria.

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions or ideas for me?

Where would you go if you went to the lfs? If it is The Ocean floor I would stay away from them IMO. I had dealt with them before and had a bad expereince with their lr could never get my ammonia, nitrites and nitrates under control even after 6 months of haveing my tank set up. If you want to get some local go to Aqua Touch on 32nd St and Cactus or to Aquarium Arts in Mess.

I was looking at About the Reef on Price in Tempe.

I was going to hit Aqua Touch this weekend, but since they don't have as much as About the Reed, I didn't figure I'd be buying there.

How is the rock at Aquarium Arts?

It is real nice rock although I was just looking, You might want to call Aqua Touch before you go and make sure they have enough instock. they do cure their lr themsleves and that is were I bought mine from and I have not had any problems at all.

Back
Top Bottom