please help me get started...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thing fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have been keeping fresh water tanks for about 10 years, but i have never kept a salt water tank. i recently started a part time job at a lfs. anyway, i want to build up my knowledge of salt water so i can give good advice.....and what better way to do that than start up a salt water tank of my own?

i have a few empty tanks that i could use...i have a 46 gallon bow, a 20 gallon high, and a 29 gallon. i will probably want to do some research and then get this tank started sometime in July.

would greatly appreciate ideas on which tank to use, as well as suggestions for essential items i will need. my experience has been solely with hob filters, so i want to go canister this time. also, stocking ideas would be great and anything else you care to chime in with. i will be researching this for a bit before i get started.

i figured the 46 would be the one. will have to look into sumps for it. may have to build something to house it so the cats don't eff with it. probably gonna end up buying what i need for it piece by piece.

i figured the 46 would be the one. will have to look into sumps for it. may have to build something to house it so the cats don't eff with it. probably gonna end up buying what i need for it piece by piece.

Build it under the stand with closed doors and a backing. Then the cats can't get in :)

Caleb

the stand i have has a small section doored off in the middle...only about 16 inches wide. will have to check out sumps and other options and consider other stands etc.

You could use the 29 as a sump. Actually that tank is rather narrow correct?

Hmm I would wait for petco to have the dollar per gallon sale and get one tank for a sump and use a spare (maybe the 20 high) to make baffles.

What do you want to keep.
All those tanks are kind of tall.
If FOWLR or FO then lighting is not so important.
Any photosynthetic life will need decent lighting in those tanks ,even the lowest light ones IMO.
I have a 29 reef I run on a slow sump.
All my other salts are bigger ,bigger cost more but are easier to balance(more forgiving of our screw ups)_

the 29 gallon is 12 inches wide 17 tall and 30 long....it would fit under my stand and stick out a bit but i could build something to cover it up.

The only tank that will fit under a 46 bow is a 10g breeder/display(not common measurements 24Lx8Wx13T) ask me how I know?
I would go with the 29 for dt and 20 for sump.

I say bigger is better. You'll see how limited you are when you set up one of those nanos. Even the 46 is small. If you like the aquaria hobby, I promise you'll be hooked to saltwater in no time at all and never look back.

I would wait for petco dollar per gallon and get a 40B

If you are really serious and are willing to invest money, I would get a 75 in all honesty

I like a 75 also. Get an undrilled one and drill it yourself for a glass holes overflow. It's a space saver. A 75 is a nice footprint to work with, and not too deep that you can't touch or light the bottom easily.

I like a 75 also. Get an undrilled one and drill it yourself for a glass holes overflow. It's a space saver. A 75 is a nice footprint to work with, and not too deep that you can't touch or light the bottom easily.

Just make sure you dont get a tank with a tempered glass bottom if you want to drill. It should give you a warning if it is with a little sticker. You cant drill tempered.

Just make sure you dont get a tank with a tempered glass bottom if you want to drill. It should give you a warning if it is with a little sticker. You cant drill tempered.
The holes are not drilled on the bottom of tank!
They are high up on back wall,
WHERE THEY SHOULD BE!.
Deep blue tank(larger) are completely tempered(all sides!).

Sorry, I don't deal with overflow's often and my only real experience was helping my uncle with his internal overflow box. The point about tempered stands however, don't get tempered glass if you intend to drill. (this doesn't matter if the tank came drilled)

Thing fish ,
Don't forget about Craigslist , there's always quiters trying to dump tanks.
You could score a full set up for cheap.Remember crisp c notes or a dog choking
wad of one's and fives with a truck in there drive way and a stack of buckets in your hand
could make the price fit your budget . Don't let them know you don't have there asking price
in till they see the cash for them selfs .let them decide .
Maybe you don't want someone elses problems , I've never had saltwater so I don't know if taking over someones tank is a good idea or not.

Thing fish ,
Don't forget about Craigslist , there's always quiters trying to dump tanks.
You could score a full set up for cheap.Remember crisp c notes or a dog choking
wad of one's and fives with a truck in there drive way and a stack of buckets in your hand
could make the price fit your budget . Don't let them know you don't have there asking price
in till they see the cash for them selfs .let them decide .
Maybe you don't want someone elses problems , I've never had saltwater so I don't know if taking over someones tank is a good idea or not.

If you find the right deal it can be a steal just for the tank and live rock then ditch the sand and fish you don't want. There was a fully established 65g reef for $100 in my area a few months ago and if I knew more about the salty side and could afford to run a SW tank that size I would have jumped at the chance. Deals are out there you just have to dig and find them.

Caleb

Caleb,
I had to watch thrift shop before I jacked this thread , There is a 70g with a filter I want and a better light then I ever had with A nice stand and three gold fish for free in my area

Caleb,
I had to watch thrift shop before I jacked this thread , There is a 70g with a filter I want and a better light then I ever had with A nice stand and three gold fish for free in my area

You can't beat free

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom