please help - New Setup Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyle447

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OKay brand new on here and a complete newbie, i know what your thinking lol please be patient with me and im sorry in advance lol. ive had a thing for wanting to get into this hobbie but never did now i want to. i recently found what seems to be as a good deal on craigslist and talked to the guy who seemed to know what he was talking about its a 75 gal tank here are the specs and what not. --->

For Sale, 75 Gallon Saltwater FishTank setup. All inclusive, everything you need except the fish and water!!! I must have at least $3000 invested and this was my hobby up until Hurricane Wilma a few years ago. I lost everything alive, and have just been circulating water for the past couple years.

Included is as follows:

Custom Canopy- (2) 250 watt 10000k metal halide bulbs, (4) 65 watt aeitinic bulbs, moonlights, red LED lights for late night nocturnal fish viewing (very cool looking) and cooling fans to keep it all cool. Canopy is custom, not made by any manufacturer. This all needs to be on timers, most of which I will include

Tank- 75 Gallon (NOT PRE-DRILLED) Does not need to be used for fish only!

Tank Stand /Cabinet

Wet Dry Filter-"Tide Pool" wet dry setup and overflow box for the tank (twin outlets) YOU WILL NEED A PUMP.

UV sterilizer- may need a new bulb for this

Protien Skimmer

80lbs of Carribean Rock (maybe more than 80 lbs)

80 lbs of carribean sand

(2) 5 Gallon water jugs for water changes
3k03ma3pb5V15Z55U4b277531ab4e0b1413e5.jpg
3p43o23lc5V45O05Q5b275ee6ab3624451c4d.jpg
3mc3oe3l15Q05P45R1b27777069f3827c1898.jpg

1. for 500 is that a good deal you think?? i really want to have a saltwater tank and get into the hobby.

2. what other maiteninece supplies will i need to keep the tank opperating. and approx how much im looking at.

3. how much $ is it to operate/maintain per week or month approx

im sorry i know this is probably frustrating to you all but i just want to see before i take the step and do it.
thank you so much for your cooperation i appreciate it thankyou very much

it's ok, but not optimal. you want a drilled tank and you want a sump, not a wet/dry. you don't need the UV sterilizer, and it doesn't say what brand the protein skimmer is. chances are, it's not a good one if he's not throwing names out there.
you are probably going to need to replace all bulbs (about 50-60 a piece for the halides, and i think the cf actinic lamps are about 40 each...but don't quote me on that).
i would drill the tank, add a sump, and get a good protein skimmer.
about another 300 give or take.
cost to run per month...about 150 maybe including electric and salt/water/livestock/etc..

mr_X said:
it's ok, but not optimal. you want a drilled tank and you want a sump, not a wet/dry. you don't need the UV sterilizer, and it doesn't say what brand the protein skimmer is. chances are, it's not a good one if he's not throwing names out there.
you are probably going to need to replace all bulbs (about 50-60 a piece for the halides, and i think the cf actinic lamps are about 40 each...but don't quote me on that).
i would drill the tank, add a sump, and get a good protein skimmer.
about another 300 give or take.
cost to run per month...about 150 maybe including electric and salt/water/livestock/etc..

++++++++1

Back
Top Bottom