Please Help Re-start Saltwater 10G Tank After Crash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gimincorp

Aquarium Advice Regular
So here is the situation:
The tank: 10 Gallon
The light: Actinic (day) 65 Wt/ Lunar (night) / can install 10K but don't see the point yet.
Fuge: HOB CPR AQ (I think 2 gallon) with original pump
Live Rock: 12 Lb (not sure how live is it
Live Sand: < 1"
Might have some worms.
Canister Filter: Fluval 204 - Do I need it if I have a fuge?
Can put in DIY HOB surface skimmer made from Penguin 125 filter.
Have various test kits including SG meter.

Where I want it to go:
I want to have:
A Pair of clownfish
Anemone (for them)
Some easy corals (Kenya Tree, Ricordea etc).

Sorry, but I can not upgrade to bigger tank at a moment unless someone will give away a biocube.

What I need: a guided step by step advice from someone acting as a mentor. What I mean by that - you say you'll help me and then provide step by step instructions with follow up in this thread. I promise to follow your instructions and be responsive.
Requirement:no major financial commitment, but around $50 / month is acceptable.

You could go with a pair of O clowns, but I wouldn't recommend an anem in that sized tank especially uf you want other corals. Remember, there is no guarantee the clowns will host the anem, try some corals, they may or may not host them as well.

Day 1

So today is day 1 of the re-start!
This morning I checked the ammonia and was surprised to fihd its low level at 0.25 given that I left the tank untouched for so long.
Steps I made today:
1. I had immediately disconnected the Fluval filter
2. Rinsed the media in the filter body
3. Thoroughly rinsed the filter floss in the filter body
5. Dumped the water out of the filter body in the toilet (the water was brownish, but much lighter than a month-two before.
6. Re-assembled the filter and refilled it with water form the tank
7. Turned the filter back on.
8. Scooped the decayed plants remains from the fuge.
9. Added 1 bucket of fresh (unsalted) water treated with Aqua Safe or something of that sort.
10. Scrubbed the hair algae off the front glass.

Question: what would be the next step in rehabilitation?

So this was a freshwater tank before and now you are turning it into a saltwater? I'm just a bit confused by the decayed plant remains in the fuge and why are you adding freshwater to the system? You may know something I don't so just explain to me why you did that.

So this was a freshwater tank before and now you are turning it into a saltwater? I'm just a bit confused by the decayed plant remains in the fuge and why are you adding freshwater to the system? You may know something I don't so just explain to me why you did that.

First, to answer your questions:
1. The tank was NEVER a FW tank (at least not under my ownership).
2. Fuge had some macro algae that decayed and its remains were removed
3. Fresh water needs to be added to keep salinity in check. Due to evaporation salinity goes up (salt does not evaporate, just water) so FW needs to be topped off at a rate of half a bucket a week.

Second, my apology if I had confused anyone.
The full history of the tank is here: Marine World (10 Gallon)

Here are a few milestones:
3/27/08
The tank was bought with a clown and a damsel, LR, LS, and two-three Haitian anemones + aiptasias.
6/8/08
A clam and some stones were introduced to the tank from LI Sound. - stupidity never to be repeated.
9/4/08
Full tank crash - death of most of the corals & fish.
Supidity never to be repeated: the canister filter was turned on after being shut off for a period of 1 month.
9/5/08
Ammonia spike to 2.5+
9/8/08 - 9/22/08
Frantic attempts to recover / rebalance the system by daily PWCs, intro of CPR, filter maint.
9/22/08
Ammonia kept registering high.
There was nothing left to salvage except for pests (aiptasias & haitan worms). Gave up and let the things take their course.
11/2/08
Decided to gather myself up and re-start the hobby.
Checked ammonia and voila: it dropped to 0.25 with NO wather changes, just few additions (top offs) of FRESH water to keep salinity in check.

So now I'm seeking advice, guidance, walk thoughs with step by step instructions on how to re-claim a small part of Indo-Pacific.
I had success with Kenya Trees, clowns seemed to be happy too - so that's what I'll be aiming for, unless I get the pair of mated clowns with a host anemone.

I just found out (lol) that I have AquaClear 30 (150 Wt) heater in my Freshwater 45 gallon tank. What if I swap it with the 200 Wt one that is currently servicing my 10 G? I know I don't need that 200 Wts in just 10 gallons anyway.

Last edited:
Ok. Got it. I understand the top off, I do know how all that goes, gotcha on that. I just was not aware that you had the tank already set up. I just thought the beginning was telling us of what you have. Just a bit of confusion on my part.

For a 10 Gallon no more than a 75 Watt Heater would be needed. I guess a 150W would work fine.

Everything else seems great. You need to add some pictures on to show us the progress.

Now because it is a nano sized aquarium. You will probably be only able to hold just to the two clownfish so if that is all you want that will be great. The anemone for them to host is an iffy for such a small tank. They like well established aquariums. If you don't want an anemone then you could totally get the Kenyan Tree Corals, some mushrooms and ricordea shrooms do very well with that lighting.

Back
Top Bottom