Please take a look at my new plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharpy98

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright fella’s I’m back with a whole new plan for your viewing,laughing,dismantling pleasure, so here we go. Here’s my new FOWLR plan I am going to start with a 40-50 gallon tank, I have bought #30 of dry or dead base rock from hirocks.com and plan to buy some LR from LFS’s around ohio enough to get me to 1# per gallon with the base rock included. Then add either a seaclone (price friendly) or a remora skimmer. I am also planning on using PC lighting I am thinking either 2x55watt or 2x65 watt.A few powerheads to get me over the 10x per hour mark and that's about it. I have about 150#’s of southdown sand but here is where it gets good. We are planning on moving in the sometime near future (within the next year) so I am not sure if I should so a DSB at this time or wait till after the move. I don't want to trash it in the move, we are only moving about 10 miles if that matters to anyone. My plan is to get this tank set up start getting some good coralline alge growing on the base rock and get me used to taking care of if then when and if we move upgrade to a bigger tank. So my main concern is would this be a decent starter set-up, also how will I get rid of nitrates if I don't do a DSB and instead just a little sand and perhaps a bag of off the shelf LS. So there it is I would appreciate any input as I am a newbie and have dreamed this up out of my head which sometimes is clouded. :lol:
As far as fish goes I will probally just do a few clowns and a couple other fish not alot of livestock

Go for the Remora skimmer. If not, the CPR Bac Pak II would be worth looking into. If you are going to have a sump, look at the Euro-Reef ES 5.2. Additionally, if you are looking at moving before the end of the year, why not stock up on dry goods for now? For example, you may decide to buy a VHO retrofit kit from Hello Lights along with a couple of metal hylide kits. Put those in a canopy and you should have all the lighting you will ever need. Might consider doing a refugium as well. Remember, right now time is on your side so you can get all the essentials together for a reef (if you so desire) and put it together after you move.

Back
Top Bottom