Plenum questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cashman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am still researching/reading before setting up my 46 bowfront. I have read up on using a DIY plenum, i.e- egg crate, pvc and screen material, to create an anaerobic zone for ammonia control in a dsb. Does anyone have a success story with using a plenum, or do you revile the thought? Why or why not. Thanks for the help.

I personally don't know very many people that use plenums. I have, however, discovered that this is a debateable topic (such as DSBs). You will find opinions on why you should and shouldn't use one. I plan on a DSB in my 120 because the research I have done and I'm most comfortable with one. IMO, you should do what YOU feel comfortable doing and it seems like you are researching all about plenums and that is good. Let us know what you decide. Hopefully, you will get a response from someone using a plenum.

I have (approx) 4" sand bed with fine grain ooltic sand in my FO 55. I over feed, and I rarely do water changes on that tank other than top-offs.

Nitrates are 0, and have been since about 3 months after the tank finished cycling.

Adding a plenum would only decrease the volume of space in the tank I use for fish and other show animals. Take from my response what you will.

Back
Top Bottom