plumbing questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigMike75

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just got a 90 reef ready All-glass tank from a shop going out to business yesterday and I have some questions. It has a 1 inch drain bulkhead and a 3/4 inch return. I am doing a durso for the drain, this seems pretty easy. But the return is were I am stumped. I want to run a fuge off of my return pump also. I was thinking a Mag 12 because I will have about 5 foot of head height. Should I start with 1.5 inch pvc then run a T with 1 inch going to fuge and 1 1/4 inch going to return. I will have to reduce to the 3/4 bulkhead then go back up to the 1 1/4 inch. I am wanting to use 2 3/4 lock lines on top of the return.

Second option run durso and a emergency drain in the overflow box then plumb the return over the back of the tank. Could I just use a 3/4 inch straight pipe with strainer on top, that is a little higher then the T on the durso. I am really not keen on having the plumbing going over the top of the tank unless it is the best option.

All suggestions and options are welcomed. Thanks

PS **Wife says it is time to get ride of some Freshwater tanks** ;-)

Why not just split the 1" drain from the dursto to go to both the sump and the fuge? This is how mine is setup. Just use a T and some ball valves (to control flow rates to each side) and you're all set. This way you don't rely on a pump to feed your fuge.

You can kinda see it here....
IMG_2538.JPG

I am going to use a 55 gallon tank for sump and fuge. Would the flow rate going through the skimmer and fuge be high enough from 1 durso?

If you max it out, 1" tubing can handle about 600gph. That's plenty IMO, as long as you have other means of providing turnover in the display tank.

In the fuge, you want a slower rate, to allow more contact time with the macros, to consume the nutrients. If I had to guess, my fuge runs at 150gph or less.

Thanks, I will keep this in mind. I will be putting 2 K3 powerheads in the tank, and maybe a K2 if needed.

Does anyone else have other options or do you concur with this.

Back
Top Bottom