PLZ help me get started!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltcreep1025

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys, bout a week ago i started reading about saltwater aquariums on the net and got very excited because it sounded like so much fun. So, the next day I went out and blew all the money I could afford to spend on the start of my tank setup. First of all I would like your advise on weather or not this would work. Keep in mind I don't have the money to go and buy everything right away so I just got what i thought was the most basic and i will upgrade from there. So far this is what I have...

35 gallon tank (the 40 wouldent fit on my dresser =/ )
penn plax clear-free undergravel filter.
penguin mini bio wheel
aquaclaer powerhead 175 g/hr
couple pounds of live rock
the salt
thermometer
hydrometer
heater
and crushed coral substrate

whats this i hear about taking the carbon out of filters? whats that for and how do i do it? I wish i wouldent have gotten the undergravel filter... will it help much? Do you guys have any advice on making it work well? I took the tube that came up out of it and stuck the thing coming out of the bottom of my powerhead in there is that all i have to do? I got the crushed coral because sand would have just slipped through the holes on the undergravel filter but it seems like everyone likes sand much better. I plan on getting another powerhead for more waterflow. I have my tank at about 78 degrees is that ok? Is that bio wheel going to be help at first cycling the tank? will it help at all after that? Do I need lighting for the aquarium if im not going to have any coral? I also got this aquarium care kit that came with ACE to remove the ammonia and chlorine, Start zyme which says it had bunches of beneficial bacteria, and start right to condition the water and help remove stress. Do those help? One last question, would it be better to just get rid of the CC and the undergravel filter and change to sand before i put my fish in? oh wait one more question =) what fish do you suggest i start with?

Thank you very much for the help!!!! there are so many questions here just answer a few and i will be happy =) thanks again.

one more question hehe.... is there anything you can do to decrease nitrate besides a water change? thanks again!!!

jeez i just keep thinking of more questions.... could i keep the undergravel filter (if it will even help) and put a thin layer of cc on that, and then sand over that so it wont fall through the holes in the undergravel filter?

thanks again

All I can say is.... well nothing... since you went and bought everything.

don't use the UGF.
use Live sand instead of CC
and take the wheels out of the bio wheel filter

The best currant practice for a bio filter is 5" of Live sand and 1-2 LBS of Live rock per Gallon of water.

Sorry.

I agree with Tim. Wish you had talked to us before you bought all that stuff. How strong is that dresser? Your tank will probably weigh in close to 400lbs with everything in it.

Back
Top Bottom