point of HOB filter on pico reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOMA

Aquarium Advice Addict
i want to set up a 2 gallon saltwater tank and ive been told that i should put an HOB filter on the tank, but what for? should i use the filter floss that comes with it or put something else in?

thanks,
joma

yeah you could use floss, or like purigen or chemipure or some LR rubble.

just something to add for some mechanical filtration and a little more biological, especially in a tank that small you'll need all the filtration you can get!

indded that is a small tank, i was thinking about a little desktop 5 gallon that has a built in filter

yeah you could use floss, or like purigen or chemipure or some LR rubble.

just something to add for some mechanical filtration and a little more biological, especially in a tank that small you'll need all the filtration you can get!

would it be better to have mechanical filteration (like filter floss) or biological (like rubble or those ceramic ring things)

and i know its a small tank for my first one but its all i can do and i really wanna try saltwater

well IMO id like to have a little of both, maybe leave a small bit of floss on top and rubble on the bottom

another question!: i have one slight problem, the petco near me closed which was my only source for live rock, now i have nowhere to go (looked online, cant find just 3lbs of rock) and i was wondering if i could use old dried coral that my parents have as a decoration for live rock? i would clean it ofcourse but could i use it?

you can get dry rock and cure it addign benificial bacteria. you can also make your own but for 3 pounds its not worth it, just find some porus dry rock

yeah the dead coral would work, i have a few pieces i use in my tank, just soak it in FW for a bit, changing the water every couple of days, and make sure its clean.

then i just plopped it in!

Back
Top Bottom