Pouty sad puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

by1123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We are new to the fish tank world. And when we started we had a Stars and striped puffer along with a frog fish. (the pet store told us they would be great togather well nope they wernt my puffer ate the frog fishes arms off and killed him) ;( we have had the puffer for 3 weeks nowI just love him alot the tank is completley cycled and all perameters are in perfect ranges he has showed some signs of being down and kinda turning camo color green greyish he seems to hide under his rock or cave alot we just today added a damsel today to see if maybe he needed a buddy. he did this hiding thing last week too but the next day took a big pooh and then was fine do they get this way if they eat to much? He also does this weird hick up thing too but more hides or sits on the bottom more then anything.
please any advise is appreciated.
Note:
all perameters are great
30 gallon tank
Puffer is about 3' big.
Damsel is small and fast so puffer is no issue so far to the fish.
Just need advise I really love the puffer alot so many questions do they go thru phases happy and sad or what. :(

Pouty

Everyone is telling me no plants with puffers either what's your
Thought on this

Put a ping pong ball in there. Sometimes they like to play and he might push it all over the top of the the tank which would be fun to watch

I would say the main reason is tank size, there is no way he is going to be happy in that small a tank. If you love him either upgrade your tank ASAP to the recommended size (180g) or take him back :( there is no puffer fish suited to that small a tank but at a stretch you could try a valentini? By re arranging the decor I think he means rock scape, of which I hope you have plenty of...

Is he 3 feet!?!?! Jk I figure you meant 3". I agree with above and also what do you mean by plants? Most sw macroalgaes would do fine with a puff but corals (actually animals) would get picked at

I fully plan to upgrade with in th next few months
We have 15 lbs of rock in the tank with him I have a
Few caves made for him but I would like some nice plant
flow to watch too is there a plant he won't bother in there
With him.

I still don't understand what you mean by plant. Like I said macroalgaes (sw plants) would do fine but no corals(actual animals).

Back
Top Bottom