Powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alvarez

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I know to have 2 powerheads that can move about 1100 to 1200g for a 75 gallon tank and I know they should be aimed upward at about 45 degrees and I know the powerheads should face each other.

Should both powerheads be near the top of the water to create ripples? Or should one be lower and one higher? Also should both powerheads be directly across from each other? Or should one be in front of the tank and one in back (I could picture this creating a whirlpool effect though)

austinsdad said:
I'd go for in the middle facing each other to get the crashing effect.

In the middle height wise or width wise? or both? Currently they are upper middle at the back of the tank pointed up 45 degrees.

As long as you have a slight ripple on the surface when pointed at each other then they are high enough for oxygen exchange. Too low and you don’t get good surface agitation, too high and you get too much salt spray so really it depends on how much of a ripple/salt spray you want to deal with.

I have mine about 2/3rds up pointed at each other and salt spray is very minimal. If you have a sump then I wouldn’t worry about the surface rippling so much since your overflow/sump will produce plenty of oxygen exchange.

Alvarez,
If you update "my info" button with your equip/tank size/critters(i know you don't have any in there right now.), it would be helpful for us in the future.

I agree w/tec. I adjusted mine to battle cyano and also to get a good, stable pH. I really just use my fluvial canister out put for the "ripple effect".

Back
Top Bottom