Pred tank advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really? Well then... I personally don't see an issue with a Tusk in a 90g, overfiltered, and with proper WC I don't think it would be detrimental to the health of the fish.

Never kept one but that certainly gives me something to think about for my tank I'm doing

I found a 240 gallon and stand for $650. Also a 135 gallon full setup with overflow and everything for like $400. I'm gonna keep checking Craigslist for more deals. I think a FOWLR setup isn't gonna be as hard as I thought

So I've been really doing my research. Some fish that interest me are the harlequin tusk, porcupine puffer, and dragon wrasse.

Would a school of blue tangs be ok with that stock? I'm thinking I want to get a large tank. Likely 200+ gallons

I'd say you'd need bigger than 200 for school of bLue tangs

Yeah there's a 240 for sale on Craigslist. I'm not gonna buy it just yet. I haven't even prepped a position in my house for a footprint that large.

So I'm thinking ill just keep looking for another tank for sale when I'm ready. It seems large tanks and stands are constantly bought and sold on Craigslist. So I'm not too worried.

This is gonna be a major project. So I guess to time to plan and save enough money so that this doesn't break me.

Also look at adult dragon wrasses they lose that cool dragon-esque look as adults. I wanted one as well until I learned that. Nowhere near enough room for a "school" of blue tangs although one would make a nice colorful addition. Are you thinking powder blue or pacific blue?

Depends on what you mean by school. If you want 2 or MAYBE 3, i wouldnt see an issue in a 200 or bigger tank. Anything less (even a 180) and you are eating up a ton of space woth a scool of blue hippos) as for the dragon wrasse i have on in my 125. Hes only prob 2-3 inches right now but hes a feisty lil one. Trust me when i say they are nicknamed the Rockmover Wrasse for a reason. Also the coolest aspect of them is that they bury themselves in the sand to sleep. Completely bury. Look it up on youtube.

Depends on what you mean by school. If you want 2 or MAYBE 3, i wouldnt see an issue in a 200 or bigger tank. Anything less (even a 180) and you are eating up a ton of space woth a scool of blue hippos) as for the dragon wrasse i have on in my 125. Hes only prob 2-3 inches right now but hes a feisty lil one. Trust me when i say they are nicknamed the Rockmover Wrasse for a reason. Also the coolest aspect of them is that they bury themselves in the sand to sleep. Completely bury. Look it up on youtube.

Does the dragon/rockmover wrasse run the risk of cracking my glass if a rock moves and falls into it?
Also do tangs need to be in schools? Or are they fine alone?

Yes there is always the risk of him knocking a rock over and cracking the tank, however this is a very easy thing to remedy, just glue/putty yoir rockscaping together... Removes issue. As for tangs, i believe in the wild a majority of them do school, however thats not a strict requirement in the hobby world. I like to keep Atleast 2 just because i feel as though that gives them both someone to play with and they can both keep up with each orher

Ah I see. Well it seems all the fish I want are those that require a large tank. The harlequin tusk fish are amazing. Pretty sure I want one.

What are good tank mates for those guys?

AaronW said:
Ah I see. Well it seems all the fish I want are those that require a large tank. The harlequin tusk fish are amazing. Pretty sure I want one.

What are good tank mates for those guys?

Keep in mind that tusks are wrasses as well

Tangs dont need to be in groups at all, in fact you'd probably have better luck if you get different body shaped ones as they tend to be overly aggressive with tangs that look like themselves.

Tangs and harlequins are fine together, the tusk is a semi aggressive fish in my opinion as are most tangs so that'd be a good match. AS the tusk is a wrasse i would suggest a screened top or lids just in case. hate to see $100-$200 jump out of a tank on ya. lol

Thanks Carey for weighing on this. I suppose a little more research and advice on this topic would be best.

I think I found a spot to place a large tank. I'm thinking 250 gallons would be prime

Would a marine Betta be a fit for my planned tank? So far a blue tang, harlequin tusk, and a snowflake eel

Back
Top Bottom