Price to start up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J1Time

Aquarium Advice Freak
The more I read these boards, the more interested I become in having a small saltwater tank. I am familiar with the freshwater side of things and currently have a 130gallo. Tank. I'd like to put something small in my kitchen on he counter against a wall that is not used. I like the idea of a nano tank. I think a standard 10 or 20 gallon would fit perfectly. Can you give me ban idea of total start up cost from no tank to having a complete up and running system ready to cycle? Livestock prices need not be included.

Roughly 16 dollars per gallon. That's with live sand n rock

Roughly 16 dollars per gallon. That's with live sand n rock

That's a tad off. Say you want a 20g reef.

Tank-20$
Lights-100$
Live sand-40$
Rock-50$
Pumps-50$
Filtration-50$-200$
Test kits-50$
Refractometer-20-30$
Heater-30$
Salt-50#-50$

Prices may be a bit off and that doesn't include coral. Your looking at 470-620$ slowly aquiring things is easier and my list may vary from others. This is buying everything seperate.

That's a tad off. Say you want a 20g reef.

Tank-20$
Lights-100$
Live sand-40$
Rock-50$
Pumps-50$
Filtration-50$-200$
Test kits-50$
Refractometer-20-30$
Heater-30$
Salt-50#-50$

Prices may be a bit off and that doesn't include coral. Your looking at 470-620$ slowly aquiring things is easier and my list may vary from others. This is buying everything seperate.

+1. That's a good list and good rough prices, only thing I would add is ro/di water ~$.75 a gal at lfs or a unit for $150-200

Woe be reef. Bit more then I think I can swing. Basically $600 is what I'm seeing

+1. That's a good list and good rough prices, only thing I would add is ro/di water ~$.75 a gal at lfs or a unit for $150-200

Crap I forgot about that. Yeah I've been pricing for awhile and on my way to do a sw tank. Been studying for a few years

What fw equipment do you have laying around? For example aqua clear hob filters work great for nano tanks, and if you have one laying around you can cross filtration off the list, an extra heater and there's another 25 you don't have to spend

But what size nano are you thinking? That will make the price range a lot. If your on a 600$ budget, I recommend a 20g Long

Was thinking In the $200 to $300 range. Possible?

Maybe if you do a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) then again you may be pushing close to 400$

Can you make a list of what you have available to use? Like equipment and test kit wise?

try and buy as much used equipment as you can that will cut down on costs i see you live in atlanta i do as well join the local atlantareef forum they have alot of good deals on used equipment members sell on there i got a real nice setup this weekend off there from a local member myself

Was thinking In the $200 to $300 range. Possible?

10g tank $15
Korilia nano 240 $25
Ac30 hob filter $35
10 lbs base rock $35
Sand $20
Clamp on light $30
Ro/di water to initially fill $10
Instant ocean salt 50g bag (not sure if it makes 50 gals or it's the volume never used IO salt) $30
For a total of $200 start up
Weekly $5 on ro/di for top offs and weekly wc

Add $100 for the taotronics dimmable LEDs and another $20 for reef crystals and you could do a reef. All of the above would work on a 20g fowlr aswell with a little more spent on the tank and rock obviously.

Have no equipment currently. Would be buying everything new/used. most likely used. Just wrory when I see caked on salt on all the old used things. makes me wonder fi they will work.

Have no equipment currently. Would be buying everything new/used. most likely used. Just wrory when I see caked on salt on all the old used things. makes me wonder fi they will work.

Just soak it in vinegar to remove that and use a stiff brush and scrub a bit

Back
Top Bottom