Prime Fish In Cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarkUmbreon

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have been wondering this for a while. Could you safely have a fish during cycle using Prime? Like for example you start a new system and you add like maybe a damsel like an ocellaris to it. And every day you use Prime to detoxify the ammonia and the nitrates. Besides the fact this method will use a lot of Prime the question is. Would this work? Would it stress out the fish? Will it kill the fish?

I wouldn't have thought so, you want ammonia and nitrites to cycle properly. I would just cycle without fish, use pure ammonia or a raw shrimp and wait it out.

I suppose you could. Too much or too little Prime is not a good thing especially with livestock and ammonia present. If things go wrong then this can place stress on the fish, weaken their immune system, etc. Like the previous poster mentioned, fish-less with an ammonia source may be a safer and faster route.

I suppose you could. Too much or too little Prime is not a good thing especially with livestock and ammonia present. If things go wrong then this can place stress on the fish, weaken their immune system, etc. Like the previous poster mentioned, fish-less with an ammonia source may be a safer and faster route.

I've never heard too much being a bad thing. Actually from the Seachem website is the following :

Directions
Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) of new water. This removes approximately 1 mg/L ammonia, 4 mg/L chloramine, or 5 mg/L chlorine. For smaller doses, please note each cap thread is approx. 1 mL. May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. Sulfur odor is normal. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose.

There are ways to do fish-in cycles safely. Most of the time "soft cycling" is a better way to start your tank. There are a couple articles on here you can read through and then do it that way.

Could someone link to me where the "soft cycling" is?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom