Prism Pro Deluxe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c-bass

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

First off, this site is great. I am new to aquarium keeping but I have just bought a 46G tank with the intention to start a reef & fish display. The guy at the LFS tells me that the Prism Pro Deluxe (must be fairly new, I can't find many reviews or comments on it) is the way to go. Is this a good choice for starting with? Any advice? I think it's the step-up from the regular Prism model and seems to be better thought out. Also, is 46G to small for a regal/hippo tang?

I think he is trying to sell you one size up from what you really can use.

The Prizm Deluxe is a new model of the classic Prizm (still only a few years old). Its rated for 100gal aquariums and smaller. Petwarehouse.com has them onsale for $79.99

The Prizm Deluxe PRO is somehow different in that its rated for up to 300 gal aquariums. Its also onsale for $159.99

Im not sure but i think both now include a surface skimmer attachment.

I think both of the models listed above are different than the old 'classic' prizm that I and many others have. They classic prizms had people complaining about them being loud. I did not think mine was overly loud when you figure 90% of the noise is caused by the air being injected into the water at the impeller.

so you're saying it's slight overkill.... but I may eventually move into a bigger tank so it might be a good choice anyway. I just want to be sure that it isn't a poorly rated skimmer. I don't mind spending a little more for a quality unit.

Well for the price range (under $100) its a good skimmer. Now if you up your range to say $150-$200 then there are some other larger skimmers that are probably more efficent.

What is the price range your willing to pay and we can suggest a skimmer within that range.

Im not saying the prizm is not a quality product. Just that its designed for the low end price range and that way to many times its compaired to a $250 skimmer and the comapirson usually leaves the prizm looking bad.

Are you talking about the classic prism or prism pro being the low end... or both? I don't mind spending $200 or so, which is what I've seen the pro being sold for. ($159-199 on varying websites) I hear the remora pro is another good one. Also, is 46G to small for a regal/hippo tang? Thanks for helping... I'm very impressed with this site

It appears they no longer sell the 'classic' prizm but instead have two versions of their new Deluxe model. The up to 100Gal tank Prizm Deluxe and the 300Gal tank Prizm Deluxe Pro.

The Prizm deluxe pro is rated for up to 300 gal tanks. and the prizm deluxe for up to 100gal tanks. Now one thing alot of people do is take the max maximum tanks size and cut it in half so the pro would be for 150 gal or smaller and the standard deluxe would be for 50 gal or smaller.

is 46G to small for a regal/hippo tang
If I recall, Tang's are very active swimmers and need a good amount of horizontal tank space for them to swim freely. a 46G (somewhat cubed shaped?) would not really be enough room for tangs to swim freely.

Back
Top Bottom