Probably a stupid question, but does anyone keep sand dollar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can find lots of them about the size of a .50 cent piece at the nearby beach out by the sandbar still alive and well. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I know its probably not a good idea to bring home wild livestock before anyone says anything. Tanks not set up yet, just gettting ideas. Still waiting on the freakin stand! Ocea`s checking into the problem. I emailed them yesterday about the issue. Store told me too it would be here today, but still no stand :(

Signed,
Frustrated in Eglin

going from that link glm provided they appear to be quite similar to sea urchins. SO any warning for a sea urchin would fit for the sand-dollar. Sea urchins are algae eaters but their spikes and mode of locomotion can be detrimental to corals and or anenomes. I have a sea urchin in my tank... I need to get rid of him before I can put any corals in my tank.

I cant see a sand dollar being able to climb like a sea urchin though, maybe I`m wrong.

I'm not exactly sure if it could easily survive, but I doubt that it would ever be seen. Living sand dollars are normally in the sandbed, where they cruise beneath the surface eating decaying organic matter. They would probably be like the sandbed clams from www.ipsf.com, that when you put them in they disappear and you never know if they are still alive.

Back
Top Bottom