Problem with tank just before done cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chitownreefer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am just at my 5wk stage and well I was going to start adding some water into the tank as it has evaporated. well my son had what I thought was water in his cup and he poured it into the fish tank and over night it has changed from clear to cloudy. I later found out it was flavored water not regular water. My son is 2yrs old he didn't know he just wanted to help daddy. What will I have to do to fix this situation?

This is my first tank. I don't know what to do. Please help.

water change, water change, and a few more water changes.

I think you will want to dilute and remove as much as possible

i'd go with a few 15-20% water changes

ok great thanks a lot. I will get right on it. about 3 or for might do it right and I'm not doing it like as soon as put it in correct??

Ya, I would wait in between changes possibly to once a day for a few days...

Hopefully someone will agree/disagree soon.

I would have to agree with the pwc. Have you tested the water to see what kind of damage it may have done? What are your params? I see in your profile that you have yellow tail damsels (I assume that you are using them to cycle the tank), how are they acting?

I haven't checked water, I have to take it to the FS so they can check it. Also I cna't see the fish thats how cloudy and murky the water has gootten.

Should I used fresh saltwater or fresh destilled water, or can I use fresh tap water.

I use tap water, BUT I would suggest that you use RO water if you have it available. I have not used RO water before, but the majority of the people on this site swear by it. I am currently savin up to get an RO/DI unit. The lfs may sell RO water. I think the average price is about $.50/gal.

The worst your going to see from your sons "contribution" is most likely a bit of an algae bloom. Depending on the ingredient of the water he had, the most potential for harm is going to be sugars (if any). Nothing will really be harmed by it though, just a fuel source so to speak.

I would suggest adding some fresh carbon in a high flow area. It will help remove any impurities as will the water changes.

Cheers
Steve

Hey just tested levels in the tank, PH=Fine, Nitrites=Fine, Nitrates=Fine, Ammonia=0.8 what could I do I have 1 Damsel, 15lbs of live ock, 20lbs of live sand, filter, powerhead, and 15watt light for a 20gallon tank. Please help me I know the ammonia levels are low. I wanted to know what to do to lower it? Do you think I need some crabs or shrimp already? Thanks for the help.

Lemuel

My first suggestion to you would be to get a test kit. They aren't expensive for the most part, and you'll like not havin to go to the fish store to get a water test. They are good to have in emergency purposes as well. To lower your ammonia level, keep up on your water changes. While .8 ppm isn't too too high, any ammonia at all is bad for your fish. You need to monitor it's levels to find out where you are in your cycle as well. Any chance you can list the actual readings on the pH, nitrites, nitrates, etc? No need for shrimp or crabs at the moment. Get your tank cycled first, then worry about your clean up crew, IMO. Just my two cent. HTH 8)

steve-s said:
The worst your going to see from your sons "contribution" is most likely a bit of an algae bloom. Depending on the ingredient of the water he had, the most potential for harm is going to be sugars (if any). Nothing will really be harmed by it though, just a fuel source so to speak.

I would suggest adding some fresh carbon in a high flow area. It will help remove any impurities as will the water changes.

Cheers
Steve

I agree, some add sugar to their tank intentionally as a fuel source to grow anaerobic bacteria for nitrates. I however don't recommend doing it.

Another issue is you should be topping off the tank every day to every other day not waiting 5 weeks like you stated in your first post. As water evaporates that SG(salinity) will change and if it gets to high it will harm the critters you have in your tank.
Sounds like your tank has not fully cycled yet if your still gettign Amm readings.. Hang in there it will happen..

Back
Top Bottom