Problems with nitrates and phosphates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stlrockguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
About a month ago a bought a 55 gallon reef tank.it had been up and running for about 3 years. I messed up by not cleaning or replacing my live sand. I've been doing about a 10 percent water change 2 times a week. Any help

This is also my first salt water tank. I cleaned all the algae out of the tank and its not growing back but my leather isn't doing so great

Bigger water changes as 10% ain't goin remove much nitrates

Well think read before that if do 40-50% water change only takes about 35-40% nitrates out so I would do about 20-25 gallon and test few times over the next day or so to see if tests go down good bit

Testing is your friend!! Till its under control I'd test like every other day also replace water with ro water not tap

Yea I only use ro. I may be a noob but I've done a pot of research. It's just there is so much to learn and there's always conflicting sides

All u can do is learn so what works for someone might not work for others as each tank is different just have to try and if dont work try something else

So basically the only thing I can do for now is keep doing water changes until it levels out. I don't have a phosphate reactor right now but I've been looking into a duel chamber to run carbon and gfo media. Does anybody have any suggestions

That site is down right now, but it's a good article. It will reduce your nutrient levels if done correctly.

All my test come out good but nitrates and phosphates. My phosphates have been coming down but it seems like my nitrates decided to stay at about 20

Well for the nitrates you should do plus cut back on feeding if ur feeding a lot. . I'm also looking for info on reactors as not used before

I person I bought the tank just let it go. It has a mono and a damsel(which will be gone) a lot of the glass and most of the live rock was covered in algae. But I have cleaned everything in it. Looks like a different tank. Plus I bought a skimmer for it 2 weeks ago since the tank didn't have one

It's cool u saved the tank but sounds like its from lake of cleaning so just keep up with it and will settle down just remember cuc poop as well so adds to the bioload so u won't need a lot of them, what I do is get different kinds that do and eat different things so all areas are covered

Back
Top Bottom