pro's and cons vs freshwater/saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
these pros/cons and whats better, threads always end up having someone taking soemthing the wrong way and getting offened based on a liking of one thing over another

+++1 thats why i always stay out of them lol

so i have a hi-tech fully planted/pressurized c02 tank wich requires weekly water changes /trimming plants and so forth and i wanted to know if it is a lot harder doing a reef tank ???

Change to the Seachem dosing regime and only change your water once a month. High tech doesn't necessary mean you have to be trimming your plants on a weekly basis.

Then buy the reef tank and explore a new aspect of the hobby.

Change to the Seachem dosing regime and only change your water once a month. High tech doesn't necessary mean you have to be trimming your plants on a weekly basis.

Then buy the reef tank and explore a new aspect of the hobby.

sorry should have been more specific lol i do weekly pwc not weekly trimming lol

i never really ruled it out, this is a marine/reef section of this community so i gave my pro on marine, and with corals, theres just more color over planted FW. although again i've only seend plants on live aquaria.

i never meant to offend but i should have just stayed out of it as all these pros/cons and whats better, threads always end up having someone taking soemthing the wrong way and getting offened based on a liking of one thing over another.

i apologizeand never intened for an argument

No argument intended here either. I didn't feel bound to the section it was posted in since the post was making a comparison. I love debate and converstion with fellow fish geeks. Sorry if I came off wrong. Which is "better" is an impossible question to answer.

+++1 thats why i always stay out of them lol

Jump in! That's the way that we all gain other perspectives and learn. +1s really help nobody.

I agree. The only reason I made the comment that your statement should have 'IMO' in it is because it is exactly that... your opinion. Without saying that, it looks as though it is factual information.

I also agree with HN1 in that it is never going to be a 'sw is better than fw' or the other way around. It's all in what you prefer. I've been told that my planted tank cost the same as what a reef would have, but I just prefer plants over corals. The OP was asking about comparisons, not asking what was better.

lol I LOVE ALL OF YOU LOL

thanks for all the info lol

looking foward to those shrimp/kerri HN1 ....just wish i had extra money hidden under my bed lol

This is what I have learned from second and third hand experience with saltwater.

Once set up, saltwater and freshwater will cost around the same (metal halides do take up a ton of energy though), although the up front costs for saltwater are generally higher, but with leds, the gap is closing.

Saltwater fish are generally more sensitive, as most of them (don't quote me on this) are still wild caught, so small fluctuations in the system can cause large consequences (moreso than freshwater). Because of this, fish tend to be a lot more expensive, and flakes usually aren't an option

Saltwater is a bit more maintenance than most freshwater, but would be similar to a high tech planted setup: adding salt to r/o and getting the hardness correct as opposed to dosing/measuring ferts in the water and removing limiting nutrients

Color-wise, I would say that saltwater tends to have more colorful fish in general, but this shouldn't be a deciding factor, as there is a ton of colorful FW fish, and in many cases, they can be even more colorful than SW

I tend to like plants more than coral, although one thing I eventually want to try is seahorsies :)

I like freshwater because it is just what I wanted. Stress free(almost) and relaxing to watch
Plus my kids help me with the hobby and that is priceless.

No argument intended here either. I didn't feel bound to the section it was posted in since the post was making a comparison. I love debate and converstion with fellow fish geeks. Sorry if I came off wrong. Which is "better" is an impossible question to answer.

Jump in! That's the way that we all gain other perspectives and learn. +1s really help nobody.

lol then you are similar to me, i like to debate even if i agree with someone i'll argue against them. i'm like the devils advocate :p

i feel no matter witch u chose sw or fw its still a wonderful hobby, and im sure everybody will agree in saying no matter with u chose its still gonna cost money and time as all hobbys do. im sure im not the only one that has multiple hobbies and its all about how invested u are in your chosen path. like some said a hi-tech planted tank is just as hard and costly as some reef tanks. in the end of it u need to go with what u want and what is reasonable for your piggy bank. im sure we have all gotten in over our heads at one point, but at the end of the day u love what u do or u wouldnt do. i chose a reef tank because like deny said the outcome is worth it and it makes it worth all the money i spend

just my 2 cents

Ok.., about a million years ago I had this beautiful freshwater tank with all kinds of interesting creatures roaming about., .. I was as proud as a cat with a dead rat on your porch about the whole thing. It was a challenge for me to keep every thing going but I did for a long time...., but when j got the urge to try saltwater that opened a whole new world., an alien world for me., and after experiencing both worlds ., I just love the marine aspect of the hobby so much more.., as stated before it's a impossible question to answer but IMHO if you haven't tried the saltwater side of the hobby you should do so just to see what's on the other side... there's no right nor wrong ., just two sides to the fence

Im going to sum it up really fast.... with a planted tank u will never wake up or walk by late at night and see somthing u didn't actually put in there!

Salt water is 100x more rewarding... once a reef tank is established only thing need is pwc period ... if anyones doing more then that there's a reason behind it

I would say go for the discus. I have a discus tank myself. It's the best watching them school together and with that 150 gallon you got you can get alot of different type of discus.I have a new sw tank but it's my first one so I can't compare the maintenance but discus need alot of water changes but it's so worth it.

Salt water is 100x more rewarding... once a reef tank is established only thing need is pwc period ... if anyones doing more then that there's a reason behind it

That's a pretty quantitative measurement for a qualitative opinion.

Back
Top Bottom