Protein skimmer in a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markh30

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm new to this site, but I'm loving everything I see so far. I started my 55g saltwater (fish only) aquarium a little over a week ago. Three days ago the bacteria bloom set in and the water turned cloudy. Yesterday I dumped a shrimp in the tank. It's now doing the chicken dance at the bottom of the tank. My question is this - with the bacteria beginning to bloom, should I be using the protein skimmer? I'm thinking that if the skimmer is turned on, it's going to take away the beneficial bacteria the tank needs. I'm about to become daddy to billions of little bacteria. Last thing I want to do is hurt my children. :D

I would run the skimmer during cycleing. It will not harm any beneficial bacteria. Watch your shrimp for signs of stress also as 1 week is a little early to introduce a delicate invert like a shrimp. I would wait at least 2-3 weeks before introducing any fish into the tank. Did you use liverock?

A skimmer removes DOCs from the water colum by attatching electrically charged protien molocules to the air (bubbles) in the water. The polar and non polar regions inside and outside of the bubble stabalize the surface tention and cause the foam to lift the docs out of the water. It is docs and not living bacteria that is lifted out.

I have a good article on how they work if you want to read it. Its not toooo long and its pretty easy to understand.

Squishy

Wow, impressive responses. Thanks. :D
But actually, the shrimp I dumped in the tank are two dead, non-chemicalized, non-cooked. This is based on the advice of this site. To allow the natural decay, and not have to use live fish to cycle the tank. I personally do not want to torture poor innocent fish just to cycle my tank. I will most definitely put the skimmer on, and I'll also read your article, SquishyFish. I'm most curious. Thank you.

That's an amazing article. Science always did fascinate me.
Now as far as that protein skimmer (SeaClone 100 Turbo-Venturi), my aquarium is ready to smack me. I putted around with the skimmer off and on most of the day yesterday. I can't seem to get the water to air ratio right. If the there's too much air, I get non-stop foam going into the cup and within 15 minutes, the cup is full of water. If there's not enough air, most of the micro bubbles pour into the tank. I woke this morning to find lots of brown gunk floating on the surface of the tank water. Smells funky too. But no matter what I try, I do get a lot of micro bubbles hitting the tank water. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? :?

What type of water conditioner did you use in the tank? Some with slime coat protectant make skimmers over react.

That's probably exactly what's happening. I used conditioner that takes chlorine out of the water. After checking the conditioner bottle, I realized it does have slime stuff mixed in. Ouch! Any idea how long it takes to break that stuff down?

Back
Top Bottom